The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre thread - PZero Corsa, R01, etc...

Scott

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with PZero tyres but I'm not sure of which variant to go for. There are so many options it's unreal.

Looking at 295 30 19s, I don't really care about wear as I don't do a lot of miles so softer compounds are an option.

What ones have you guys tried, what do you recommend? Cost isn't really an issue as I'll be going with good part worns so I just want the best I can get.

Power will be around 700hp max.

P Zero Corsas are a fairly hard compound and need heat and a lot of negative camber to make work properly, not a good road car tyre, plus they are obsolete and even old stock new ones will be quite old. Pilot Sport Cups and the new Pirelli Trofeo, (the Corsa replacement), are also fairly hard compounds and more for track days than Tescos. A good LSD and proper suspension will be the secret to using that much power

P Zero Corsas are a fairly hard compound and need heat and a lot of negative camber to make work properly, not a good road car tyre, plus they are obsolete and even old stock new ones will be quite old. Pilot Sport Cups and the new Pirelli Trofeo, (the Corsa replacement), are also fairly hard compounds and more for track days than Tescos. A good LSD and proper suspension will be the secret to using that much power

Ahh, I had read the corsas were soft compound (60 something or others) vs the R01s being 220 (something or others).

Are the normal road going PZeros any good Chris?

No idea, I just bang any old runners on my road cars, I only spend on race tyres :) I have always found Uniroyal and Michelin to be good road tyres on Supras though, and the old Goodyear F1 which I think are no longer made.

For track usage it's a matter of finding something with a HARD enough compound for Supras and Skylines as the things are so darned heavy and understeery.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I find that the Conti Sport contact 5p are incredible for grip in the dry as well as the wet.

Not sure for 700hp though

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313443_10150292848453802_524978801_7923708_5012628_n.jpg

No reason for me putting the picture up, just felt like it.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I have Pzeros on mine, 265/35/18 and I think they are terrible in the wet, in the dry with heat in them they are pretty good. I'm changing to the Vredesteins Ultrac as I have on the front as they are brilliant in the dry or wet.

+1 For the Vredesteins. GREAT (as a hard compound can be compared to a softer one) in the dry, amazing in wet conditons. Best all-round tyre you can buy IMO. Have lasted 15,000 miles so far on my supe ~3 years and still have around 3mm tread left.

Although my TT supe is stock and the Vredesteins are on my rear wheels. I have no idea whether they would be suitable for ~700 bhp. Although you could always just get a set for the fronts.

I find that the Conti Sport contact 5p are incredible for grip in the dry as well as the wet.

Not sure for 700hp though

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313443_10150292848453802_524978801_7923708_5012628_n.jpg

No reason for me putting the picture up, just felt like it.

I had these on my UK when I first got it, worst tyre I've ever used, flooring it in 3rd at 70mph would have smoke coming off the tyres. Pulling away on just the clutch would cause wheelspin.

Changed to Michelin Pilot sport's. Could floor it in any gear, full grip in any gear (just over 400hp). Amazing. Took real stupidness to get the back end loose in the wet. Definately recommend them. Goodyear eagle F1 are reasonable, but didn't get the same confidence as the Pilot Sport.

I had these on my UK when I first got it, worst tyre I've ever used, flooring it in 3rd at 70mph would have smoke coming off the tyres. Pulling away on just the clutch would cause wheelspin.

Changed to Michelin Pilot sport's. Could floor it in any gear, full grip in any gear (just over 400hp). Amazing. Took real stupidness to get the back end loose in the wet. Definately recommend them. Goodyear eagle F1 are reasonable, but didn't get the same confidence as the Pilot Sport.

Strange, never had a problem with mine so far...

I would like to try the pilot sports, but when I changed recently they didn't have the rears in stock.