The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhausting debate

splurge

I've been saving up some cash and now the time has come to get a new exhaust system, but I don't know much about these sorts of things so I would really appreciate your expert advice.

I've heard that the best thing to do is to have both cats taken out and then fit a cat-back exhaust so you can still pass your MOT - is this true?

Also, what's everyone's opinion on the best-sounding exhaust? I am looking for something that really brings out the creamy snarliness (can I say that?) of the six-cylinder without being so loud that it offends the entire neighbourhood.

How much extra do you think I'm looking at to get this all fitted?

It's a J-spec TT, by the way.

Cheers!

Originally posted by splurge

I've been saving up some cash and now the time has come to get a new exhaust system, but I don't know much about these sorts of things so I would really appreciate your expert advice.

I've heard that the best thing to do is to have both cats taken out and then fit a cat-back exhaust so you can still pass your MOT - is this true?

Also, what's everyone's opinion on the best-sounding exhaust? I am looking for something that really brings out the creamy snarliness (can I say that?) of the six-cylinder without being so loud that it offends the entire neighbourhood.

How much extra do you think I'm looking at to get this all fitted?

It's a J-spec TT, by the way.

Cheers!

RSR without a doubt, and I think anyone that has heard them (regardless of if they own one or not) will probably agree

Basically you've got 2 catalysts which run to almost the middle of the car then the exhaust .

I replaced the standard exhaust with a Nur Spec R, it has a removable baffle in the back box which can go back in if you want it a little quieter .

On it's own the exhaust produces a nice sound but not excessively loud. When you drive the car it is much more responsive, the turbo's spool up quicker. The boost on mine went up from about 0.7 bar to 0.9 bar which will give you an increase in power.

Last week I replaced both catalysts with 2 Chris Wilson Decat pipes. Once again it will make it a little more responsive and more powerful, boost went up from about 0.9 to 1.1 bar. Best not to boost more than 1.2 bar.

But to pass the MOT next time I will temporarily have to refit one of the catalysts.

The car is now pretty loud, I got some filthy looks from one of my neighbours 2 doors away last week when I was giving it a bit of a rev. It's just loud enough, I can reverse it out of the drive and drive off by being gentle on the throttle and it's okay.

When you remove the catalysts you have to make sure the boost doesn't creep up too high.

Therefore you'll also have to buy a boost gauge to keep an eye on this.

It's also advisable to buy a Fuel Cut Defender(TRL Performance),this will prevent the fuel being cut to the engine which can happen at high boosts which could be slightly inconvenient when you're overtaking 2 or 3 cars with a lorry coming the other way.:eek:

I fitted all of these myself, the prices were:

Nur Spec R £585

CW Decat pipes £300

Boost gauge and controller, approx £270(you can get much cheaper ones)

TRL FCD £90

Originally posted by merckx

The first cat wasn't easy to remove, 2 of the nuts came off the studs okay. But someone previous to me had rounded the corners on the third one, I used a nut splitter and bashed on a socket to remove this.

Ah I had exactly the same problem getting one of the nuts off my donor wagon, Didn't have a nut splitter though so spent the best part of two hours mullering the damn thing off.

Exhausts wise if you search up Nur Spec R and RSR you will see nothing but good things said about them. CW's decat pipes have a lot of good feedback as well. I am sure that you can fit a restrictor ring to prevent overboost if you can't stretch to a boost gauge immediately after a Decat.

Originally posted by splurge

?

If I may suggest - apart from the RSR and NUR - I would also recommend the HKS Carbon-Ti which has the qualities I think you seek young sir!

ie. you neighbours will still talk to you!!

Or wait for our next offering which will no doubt please!

Regards

paul:cool: :thumbs:

Im well happy with my Blitz Nur, its not too noisy with the baffle out, keep the baffle in and it will hum the same plain chant as the local Zen Budists

;)

Titaniums are lighter though, and sound about the same from what I understand (he says adding fuel to the debate)

:p

Would be great if ya could get an exhaust system with a volume control, so we could sneak home at night without waking the Conformist Company car Clones that live in our street.

:zzz:

Originally posted by Green Peace

Would be great if ya could get an exhaust system with a volume control, so we could sneak home at night without waking the Conformist Company car Clones that live in our street.

or so you could turn it right up to make sure you wake up the miserable fcukers:p

Originally posted by Green Peace

Thats do-able, all you would really need is a motorised butterfly valve in the pipework. What the long term usage effects might be I don't know.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Thats do-able, all you would really need is a motorised butterfly valve in the pipework. What the long term usage effects might be I don't know.

Apexi used to supply one - but I wouldn't fancy a large butterfly valve restriction stuck in my exhaust pipe.

Regards,

Gaz.