The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SZ-R 6-speed has same differential as RZ ?

95supra

I have a 1995 SZ with 2JZ-GTE V160 6-speed swap. Stock rear end and differential.

I am wondering if a 1996.7+ facelift non-turbo SZ-R with the 6-speed transmission has the same differential 3.26 gearing differential as the RZ Supra's?

My friend has the SZ-R which he just got. He's going to be using it as a show car.

I talked about it and would be willing to trade differentials.

So my questions are. Assuming the 6-speed SZ-R has the same 3.26 gearing differential, can I just bolt that onto my car? and bolt my 5-speed N/A diff on his SZ-R?

Are both cars Japanese Supras?

The gearing on the 6spd 2JZ-GE is 3.769. Below image taken from the Toyota EPC.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8526/picture1xxz.jpg

What year is your mates TT? If it's a pre-facelift (93-96.7) 6spd 2JZ-GTE it will have the larger B diff fitted, different to your 6spd 2JZ-GE which will have the smaller A diff fitted. If it's a 96.7-02 facelift 6spd 2JZ-GTE it will have the small A diff, the same as yours.

See HERE for pics of the different diffs.

I think you're trying to fix the speedo/odo issues the wrong way. I'm not sure that the diff could throw the speedo/odo out like that but even if it could, something would need to be very wrong with the diff to make the speedo read double what it should. The speedo and the odo are fed from the same sensor. The sensor measures the number of hub revolutions. If one instrument is reading too many hub revolutions (i.e. odo counts up twice as fast as it should) and another instrument is reading too few revs (speedo is reading much lower than true speed), it would seem that there are problems with your wiring loom.

problem with wiring room? with my harness?

I know for a fact that it is reading twice as much. From my house to work its 20km in my old Supra, now it shows about 40km on ODO.

Also the speedo reads lower than real life speed like I've specified.

If there is a problem with my wiring loom I guess I'll need to take it to a professional.

Has your car always had these speedo and odo problems since you had the TT conversion done?

I am the third owner of the car.

1st owner did the swap, 2nd owner didn't know anything about cars, now I am left with practically no information. All I know is what I'm able to find out myself.

The car has a very short first gear.

Edited by 95supra (see edit history)