The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Valve spring and cam question

aman00123

I'm about to get a set of dual valve springs and titanium retainers and was wondering if I needed valve seat locaters?

On another note I'm looking for a set of cams and am after a bit of advice. I am quite tempted by the gsc s2's but was wondering what peoples opinions on them are?

Sorry for any bad punctuation or grammar, just posted from my phone

Thanks for any help/advice in advance :-)

I just installed a set of gsc stage 1s. JamieP had some good results from them in the past.

I didnt bother with the seats as they are just hardened washers for all that i could see. As long as they aren't scored or marked they will be absolutely fine. If they are then I would be giving the valves a thorough check as something hasnt been right.

Why such agressive cams and double springs? What power/revs are you going for?

When reading up on cams, valves etc. I found most people went OTT on quite moderate builds. I will be using 264 Whifbitz cams and vernier pulleys. I see no reason on this to start splashing out on valves, springs and the rest as I think the stock head nicely refurbished should do fine.

Edit - Sorry Scott just seen your same question - What Scott said!!

I'm about to get a set of dual valve springs and titanium retainers and was wondering if I needed valve seat locaters?

On another note I'm looking for a set of cams and am after a bit of advice. I am quite tempted by the gsc s2's but was wondering what peoples opinions on them are?

Sorry for any bad punctuation or grammar, just posted from my phone

Thanks for any help/advice in advance :-)

Hi,

What sort of power are you going for? And what is your turbo setup?

When you buy the valve springs and retainers they will come with seats....

Hi,

What sort of power are you going for? And what is your turbo setup?

When you buy the valve springs and retainers they will come with seats....

Turbo setup is a turbonetics ball bearing hp-71 with a .70 ar. Power wise I'm looking for between 600 and 700.

Some of the sets I have seen come with valve start locaters but some don't... But if most people are saying it's not a problem then I guess it doesn't matter if they come or not

As for the cams I am looking for quite an aggressive setup so if I decide to upgrade the turbo in the future then the cams won't need redoing. The head is currently off the car and it needs a reshim already hence me looking at new cams

Turbo setup is a turbonetics ball bearing hp-71 with a .70 ar. Power wise I'm looking for between 600 and 700.

Some of the sets I have seen come with valve start locaters but some don't... But if most people are saying it's not a problem then I guess it doesn't matter if they come or not

As for the cams I am looking for quite an aggressive setup so if I decide to upgrade the turbo in the future then the cams won't need redoing. The head is currently off the car and it needs a reshim already hence me looking at new cams

If your going for 700bhp + I would recommend our 280 9.9mm lift cams, we've tested these back to back against HKS 280 cams and my cams out performed them in every way, 30bhp extra plus it moved the power band down lower but kept pulling towards the top to. These are the same cams we use in Steve Lintons race car which produces around 700bhp and the same I use in my own car running 1200bhp so they should suit you perfect and will be more than man enough for any future mods you have planned. Details here http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-engine-components-camshafts-pulleys-belts-c-42_47_815_819.html if your interested. Must be used with dual springs by the way.

Any questions just ask.

you have to use double valve springs with these though.