The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Total disaster!!

a98pmalcolm

Kind of a rant really..

At the moment as some of you know im getting my whole rear end done with a trial bumper and all my fibreglass sorted out.

Well I got a call from my painter today. And my car ISN'T Nissan Bayside blue like I asked to be done when I bought the car up north. This has been said now by 3 painters that its the incorrect colour and look at the difference it is (door is the incorrect colour) I'm now having to pay for a full respray! :( Me and the guy painting my car where worrying this would happen as 2 professionals before said "This is isn't bayside blue TV2" but so much needed doing. Staying somewhat positive about this situation is the car is going to look fresh, and its a lot nicer blue!!

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5977/20110905174947.jpg

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Its over 2 years ago now :( and I didn't pay for the respray it came out of insurance...

Havard its the R34 GTR Skyline colour..

It does take the piss a bit though and the painter I get on with that I'm using is scratching his head as he doesn't want to charge me alot as its not my fault but its his neither.. And on top of that Simon work loads of extra hours over the weekend to try and get it done for me tomorrow.. He is doing it all so so cheap than it should be.. Thankfully

to be fair, the painter who did the back end should have matched it up before painting it anyway...i.e take the fuel flap off and match it....i dont know any painter who would go and get paint based on the fact that you said it was bayside blue and paint it without checking it first?

its the painters fault imo...

to be fair, the painter who did the back end should have matched it up before painting it anyway...i.e take the fuel flap off and match it....i dont know any painter who would go and get paint based on the fact that you said it was bayside blue and paint it without checking it first?

its the painters fault imo...

The painter is to blame big time, as the paint should have been spot tested, plus when painting a rear qauter the the new paint colour has to be 'lost' along the drivers door. Apart from solid black it is virtually impossible to paint any panel edge to each without a shade difference.

Supracars.. I told him its was Nissan Bayside Blue colour code TV2 So that's what he did.. After taking it out the oven and taking of the coverings then he saw its not Bayside Blue.. He is the 2nd painter that has done this as I told the sprayer up North I wanted bayside blue... And that's what I believed I had "even with doubts from others telling me it didn't look like bayside blue"

It now is (well 1/2 way is) and looks much nicer for it..

If you look in the picture below you can see a repair job (as the up north painters didn't but my doors back on 100% the way they were and pulled pained off the skirt) and I told this guy (different to what I'm using now) that its Bayside Blue TV2 and look at the colour difference, so its not just the painter I'm using now that came out a darker blue. And on top of that Nu-again the local car paint shop told me it wasn't bayside blue as there colour sample didn't match:

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/737/14072009274.jpg

Another thing is I resprayed my Strat Bayside and look how much darker is that my car (i know lighting effects it but it gives you a ruff idea):

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8269/22042009157.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6114/27042009188.jpg

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

In all honesty mate i reckon the original paint on there probably is Bayside, the original Bayside blue is a three stage paint but a lot of paintshops are applying it on a two stage method hence why you will find it doesnt match the original manufacturers colour chips.

Bayside and most pearl paints nowadays are an absolute nightmare to match. Even if you a have bit of the original paint left you cannot go edge to edge with it as the final shade is dependant on gun pressure, needle size and angle of application.

So probably a good idea to paint the whole thing now.