The mkiv Supra Owners Club

It's official, I hate my supra...

heckler

Pretty much the title really, it will just not behave, AEM WB has died, went on rolling road to confirm this, then kept popping a boost hose, the AFR keep changing by 1 AFR point from run to run, PAS pump is leaking - just driving me nuts. So tempted to put a match to it or sell it - oh and this is after 2 engine rebuilds. My 16 year old, £500 Ibiza has been more reliable. Not happy

Si, sometimes you get a stack up of things that really get you down, and it can be silly small stuff :) I've been there a few times, especially after you've just sorted a major problem.

Where's the PAS pump leaking from? I just had a leak fixed at the steering box side of things, turned out a banjo pipe had finally corroded through to a pinhole. If it's getting over boost pipes though it must be higher up. It's an easy swap and if it's the bearings, CW will refurb the unit for you.

As for the wideband, the sensors do have a limited life - how many miles have you done on it? A new Bosch 5.1 sensor is about £60 off ebay. Check it with a multimeter, I'm sure you know how to use one of those ;)

Si, sometimes you get a stack up of things that really get you down, and it can be silly small stuff :) I've been there a few times, especially after you've just sorted a major problem.

Where's the PAS pump leaking from? I just had a leak fixed at the steering box side of things, turned out a banjo pipe had finally corroded through to a pinhole. If it's getting over boost pipes though it must be higher up. It's an easy swap and if it's the bearings, CW will refurb the unit for you.

As for the wideband, the sensors do have a limited life - how many miles have you done on it? A new Bosch 5.1 sensor is about £60 off ebay. Check it with a multimeter, I'm sure you know how to use one of those ;)

I know where your coming from ;) I have a spare PAS pump sat in my shed, so that will be going in this week. The WB sensor is about 8 month old and done 2-3k. Not too fusses about the WB at the momment, just the variation in AFR when its was as SRR today..

If you're measuring the AFRs with a broken sensor then I wouldn't be surprised that the reading varies. If it's varying on SRR's sensor then you'll need to do more investigation as to what the pattern is - how much variation, what makes it change, that sort of thing. Datalog everything if you've got the ability, then you can see if injector duty changes, and if so, perhaps see what's causing it. Might just be a hole in your exhaust system mucking up the readings!

If you're measuring the AFRs with a broken sensor then I wouldn't be surprised that the reading varies. If it's varying on SRR's sensor then you'll need to do more investigation as to what the pattern is - how much variation, what makes it change, that sort of thing. Datalog everything if you've got the ability, then you can see if injector duty changes, and if so, perhaps see what's causing it. Might just be a hole in your exhaust system mucking up the readings!

yeah, been there with Matt from AFR - was planning to up the boost... well, never got that far!

Yeah, once this one goes, I'll never mod another car to this extent..

I would love to have the money to do it as I bet the performance is such a rush. I just know what happens in my head when things go wrong as my first reaction is to smash something up or or set fire to it. Or sometimes both..!!

H.

Pretty much the title really, it will just not behave, AEM WB has died, went on rolling road to confirm this, then kept popping a boost hose, the AFR keep changing by 1 AFR point from run to run, PAS pump is leaking - just driving me nuts. So tempted to put a match to it or sell it - oh and this is after 2 engine rebuilds. My 16 year old, £500 Ibiza has been more reliable. Not happy

not good but.............. you have killer dash lights d00d :D

let it know who's boss

Sorry to hear of your woes, Si.

And there was me cursing because my radiator went the other month, after 6 yrs of single-ship and only use to spending on fluids and tires.

well, now I've had a sit down and a think, it just means i can get a few things sorted, get engine loom changed over, pipes beaded, change the PAS pump etc... But I'll still be going to JAE with the car :D