The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Track time at Trax 2011..

ManwithSupra

Hi All,

Just thought I would share my track time with you all when I was at Trax this weekend.

It seems i was the only Supra that went out on the day - Luckily for me it was a bit dryer than the morning sessions ;) Still I gave a full brand new set of Contisport 5p's a little bit of action :D

Only one gripe with the Track time was that there were so many idiots which completely ignored standard track day rules and some of the manoeuvres which were downright dangerous:complain:... (as I am sure you will see in the video).

This will be the first and last Trax event I will go to as there were just too many Vauxhalls... :rolleyes:

The laps are not fast as I was trying to take note of the layout of the track as much as possible for my full day at Silverstone next Tuesday and my wife was in the car so was taking it a little easy (still made her feel sick though lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K50l2QVAm08

My telemetry..

attachment.php?attachmentid=138478&stc=1&d=1315178259

And these are my top speeds and times.. :)

LapSectorTimes

================

Lap 1 (RED LINE) (03:44.31) 03:44.31

Lap 2 (GREEN LINE) (03:43.48) 03:43.48

Lap 3 (BLUE LINE) (03:38.06) 03:38.06

Lap 4 (YELLOW LINE) (03:23.13) 03:23.13 (FASTEST LAP)

Lap Sector Maximum Speeds

=========================

Lap 1 (109.1mph) 109.1mph

Lap 2 (99.7mph) 99.7mph

Lap 3 (104.6mph) 104.6mph

Lap 4 (111.1mph) 111.1mph

Roll on 13th September...

Neat stuff. How did you get the overlay data onto your video?

I use an app call Alaprecorder HD for Android on my HTC desire, and paired it with a 10hz GPS receiver so it’s more accurate.

The app gives you different export methods, you can export to the usual applications like Racerender etc or you can export the dials part to blue screen, then use a software (adobe) where you can filter blue screen overlays, sync the two videos and all done :)

I need a faster memory card in the HTC though, The one i have is class 2 and it can’t handle HD video and do all the GPS readings at once (you will see the speedo is a bit jerky on the video). Really need a Class 6 card

Did you just get overtaken by a White Range Rover? :D

That is a very impressive recording method & looks good on the video! Nice video :thumbs:

Yeah I did lol, I let most of the idiots on that lap go past.

Seriously the guy in the range rover was a right ....(insert word here) I thought it would be best to let him pass.

Yeah I did lol, I let most of the idiots on that lap go past.

Seriously the guy in the range rover was a right ....(insert word here) I thought it would be best to let him pass.

I noticed a few of them driving like they were on wacky races! Good to see they listen to the safety briefing!

The guy in the white RR thought, maybe because it is a Range Rover 'Sport' - It is good for the track :D

I noticed a few of them driving like they were on wacky races! Good to see they listen to the safety briefing!

The guy in the white RR thought, maybe because it is a Range Rover 'Sport' - It is good for the track :D

Ha yeah, the saftey briefing was a joke to be honest, probably the worst one i have ever been too!

Didnt explain any of the corners or lines, restated what it said in the documentation and that was it.

My friend (who was in the CSL in front at the start of the video) and I went over to him after the "briefing session" with a whole host of questions, all things that should have been covered in the brief.

I wrote an email about this and the fact the marshalls didnt do a very good job of keeping order on the track... kinda spoilt the session really.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

How did you synch the video and data? Is it just GPS coordinates and GPS speed it logs, or will it log ecu data if exported as a .csv file? Neat little app. I think you are brave going on a Trax day, they are like high school just turned out for the summer break and the kids found a load of cars with keys left in them in the pitlane :) I was going to post my run out at Rockingham, but synching data and manipulating huge video files on my old PC is a PITA.

I need a faster memory card in the HTC though, The one i have is class 2 and it can’t handle HD video and do all the GPS readings at once (you will see the speedo is a bit jerky on the video). Really need a Class 6 card

You know if it'll take Class 10 SDs? They're supposed to be HD compatible (as are the new UHS1 class but much more expensive).

How did you synch the video and data? Is it just GPS coordinates and GPS speed it logs, or will it log ecu data if exported as a .csv file? Neat little app. I think you are brave going on a Trax day, they are like high school just turned out for the summer break and the kids found a load of cars with keys left in them in the pitlane :) I was going to post my run out at Rockingham, but synching data and manipulating huge video files on my old PC is a PITA.

The Blue screen overlay is created on the phone when you export,

The software will create a PNG image for the dial overlays for each frame of the video and its default at 25 frames per second,

Once it has done the export to blue screen you would need to download a program called virtualdub, you will then need to set the frame rate in virtualdub to 25FPS in the settings menu then import video by using the 1st exported PNG image, this will then produce an .avi file which is already synced to the video (which is also at 25 frames per second)

You then need some software where you can overlay a blue screen (Chroma key) video over the top of the other video (such as adobe there are others) Then all you have to do is set both of the video streams to start at the same time and then create a new video from that.

And you’re done :)

Alternately if you have Racerender, RaceChrono or Vbox software you can export the data to a format that it understands (you can choose the type) and it will overlay data on the video that way.

The Software will do OBD2 link as well so as long as you have an OBD2 Bluetooth sender, it will measure and record RPM, TPS, MAF, Intake Press and Engine Load in addition to GPS etc to which can be exported to the above alternative overlay softwares (Racerender, RaceChrono or Vbox)

Too right about the others being like school kids, never doing a session like that ever again.

Looking forward to a proper track day on the 13th where there will be sensible people :D

I am afraid you need a bit of a meaty PC when your doing this stuff, even more so as its 720p still if your patient then you get good results :D

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

You know if it'll take Class 10 SDs? They're supposed to be HD compatible (as are the new UHS1 class but much more expensive).

Not at the moment AFIAK, the fastest is 6, you could put a class 10 card in but it will only run at 6.

If they decide to bring out another firmware update it may go up to 10 but I doubt it.

My first time at trax aswel and will not be returning.

The drifting was great to watch and all the french cars and chavs made me feel sick.

When we came back it was just lee's car on it's own on the club stand.

Yeah there was a lot of tat there.

I thought the show would be more geared towards the motorsport/high end tuning industry, it was just big sound systems and pack's.

Was pretty disappointed was hoping the track time would make up for it.... It did and it didn't, so many idiots that have clearly never been on a track before thinking they are Jenson Button...