The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New car back and in the workshop

dude

The body comes off, it would take around an hour to do so but there is really no need, the body needs sealing to the frame to stop smoke ingress when it does the burnout. As for priority of work we need to swap Inlets and fuel system with direct port kit, turbo and manifold as well as put the head right,swap ecu's and remap, get the seat pad re upholstered and tidy the dash, I also need to get the electric windows working !!!! The gearbox needs stripping and checking and then I can have the case re tagged as it is its own scattershield, the chassis also needs retagging.

As far as performance We need to run more boost and a larger nitrous shot on the run (it has 2 systems, one just for spool) then we can change diff ratios from 5.46:1 to 4.11:1 and maybe lose an inch off the rear tire from 33" to 32" this way it can run way more terminal than 177 as it was revving very high, it will need way more power to run under 7.7 with this gearing but thats the only way it can go quicker than mid 7's, the changed gearing will let it run around 200mph or more.

James, yes dude I am tempted to just get it together and run it once just to get a feel for it this year, unfortunatly there is not another webster test day I can get to this year but we will see.

Is this the one on eBay? Looked a beast! Will you be offering passenger rides? :D

It has no facilty for a pass seat im afraid, the chassis is not designed for one and I doubt very much I would be allowed to take a passenger at the pod in a car like this. After checking about what I need to do to compete in a class apart from the HKS series ( observed runs etc before i get my license) one of the officials asked why I bought the car, i explained that Ive always liked doorslammers (not a rail type dragster) and my ultimate car would be a pro mod (this is a pro mod chassis) and I could never aspire to being able to either afford or be able to drive a Top Fuel car he answered, afford prob not but a Pro Mod is harder to drive than a Top fuel car and thats not going to be much slower with the extra power we want to run !!! So i don't think I would want the responsibility of a passenger anyway.

yes it is the one on Ebay, one guy from europe mailed him and asked 'If I cut the tubes out the back can I drive it on the road???'

It has no facilty for a pass seat im afraid, the chassis is not designed for one and I doubt very much I would be allowed to take a passenger at the pod in a car like this. After checking about what I need to do to compete in a class apart from the HKS series ( observed runs etc before i get my license) one of the officials asked why I bought the car, i explained that Ive always liked doorslammers (not a rail type dragster) and my ultimate car would be a pro mod (this is a pro mod chassis) and I could never aspire to being able to either afford or be able to drive a Top Fuel car he answered, afford prob not but a Pro Mod is harder to drive than a Top fuel car and thats not going to be much slower with the extra power we want to run !!! So i don't think I would want the responsibility of a passenger anyway.

yes it is the one on Ebay, one guy from europe mailed him and asked 'If I cut the tubes out the back can I drive it on the road???'

:D

To be honest I don't think I'd get in it! It would scare me :D

Hmmm chopping out the rear tubes ay, good luck with that one :D

Fair point about the tannoy, and good call on the name :)

lol about road use, but isn't there a calibra that does just that? (or is that in a different class?)

I could make it road legal quite easily, in fact I may do just that, it has lights and electric windows and back lights so would not take much.

Do it (and then stick a tow bar on the back!)

No tow bar for this one im afraid, it has to run fast or there was no point in buying it, if I didnt think there was a chance of running a 6 one day I would have left it.

If anyone has any pics or footage of the original car I would apreciate a copy, heres a few more I have found, Im going to get some decent pics tomorrow and contact the company who designed the original graphics to see what they can come up with.

daywalksplash[1].jpg

images[5].jpg

IMG_7576ft08dj[1].jpg

steve_whit_rs07[1].jpg

Yeah mate personally id say drive it as is, get a few decent 8 second 1/4's out of it and enjoy it. And then you will get a real feel of what needs to be improved to get the low 7's and maybe a 6.

After all the heartache of the last car you at least deserve to run the thing asap and get your groove on ;)

Santa pod still have a few rwyb days coming up

Yeah mate personally id say drive it as is, get a few decent 8 second 1/4's out of it and enjoy it. And then you will get a real feel of what needs to be improved to get the low 7's and maybe a 6.

After all the heartache of the last car you at least deserve to run the thing asap and get your groove on ;)

Santa pod still have a few rwyb days coming up

I might sneak up and run it once, there is a RWYB after the Flame and Thunder meet and the track will have been prepped for the Top Fuel cars and Stu W will be there.

Please excuse the complete ignorance, but what's the background story on the "Daywalker", John?

The car was originally built as a Pro Mod (6.70++ @ 220 ++ mph) car with MK3 Supra body, it had a V8 fitted and never ran Pro Mod, prob due to the expense of running that class, Steve Whittaker bought the car and fitted the 2JZ engine and ran in HKS Pro, The Daywalker was the first Jap car to run a 7 sec 1/4 in Europe.

The name came from Steves daughter, after he had the colour painted on the body (black) it was in the workshop or a closed trailer and she said it looked evil, like a vampire hence it became The Daywalker, I will run it as Daywalker 2 or Daywalker Undead as Steve was going to call it after the crash where it hit the wall at around 140 mph (it does just over 140 in 1st gear and had changed to 2nd) When it ran the 7.7 it had around 1000hp and a 50 shot of nitrous, we hope to run closer to 1500 + the full 400 shot.