The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray vs Vinyl Wrap

Soopra

I was lucky to pick my Supra up very cheap because it desperately needs paint on several panels.

Someone (Stevie Wonder...?) has "repaired" some minor damage/car park dings to front bumper, wing and door with a can of spray paint :(

Having seen 2 different Supras in white recently I now know I want to change mine from 199 Silver to white.

So what do I do? Vinyl wrap - about £1500 + VAT or a complete respray (price unknown)...?

Hearing lots of different things about the vinyl... people telling me it's reversible, people telling me it damages the paint (not really an issue as the current paint leaves a lot to be desired)...

Your thoughts please?

It would definitely be a respray for me. I can't see vinyl wrapping lasting very long to be honest. When it gets chipped does it not tear? Will the edges not start to peel and bubble after a couple of years?

A good respray will cost you around £2k. You can pay more or less depending on how willing you are to look around. To do it properly you would need the windows out, this usually means a new front screen at least. I think you can take out the rear and put it back but I couldn't be certain.

respray is better the wrap has to be scalpaled on and they say it lasts a number of years but depending who does it then u can get fading and peeling much sooner than that and once take the wrap off u will need to do a complete respray from the damage done

A good respray will cost you around £2k. You can pay more or less depending on how willing you are to look around. To do it properly you would need the windows out, this usually means a new front screen at least. I think you can take out the rear and put it back but I couldn't be certain.

I didn't realise a respray could be as cheap as this :) It has suddenly become an option. :) How long does a respray take? I know the wrap takes 2 days and I guess a respray takes a lot longer...

Can anyone recommend a sprayer in the South East?

I didn't realise a respray could be as cheap as this :) It has suddenly become an option. :) How long does a respray take? I know the wrap takes 2 days and I guess a respray takes a lot longer...

Can anyone recommend a sprayer in the South East?

I wouldn't call it cheap as 2k is a lot of lolly for paint. But the work that goes into it at least justifies that cost. I don't see the justification with vinyl wrapping. I'm not sure how much you would pay down there but around £2k seems reasonable in England.

A respray could probably be done in a week if the sprayer was working on your car the whole time. This will never be the case though as there are often a lot of things being done at once. If you got your car back in a fortnight you would be doing well but that would be on the basis that you had any new screens/seals etc to hand and that there was no down time waiting on them to arrive. I would say the going rate for a non-rushed respray would generally be 2-4 weeks. There are a few sprayers on here that would be able to quote you a more accurate timescale though.

Remember that every job is individual, so the time and cost will always be dependant on the work required.

Get it painted mate! We do wrapping and we only recommend getting a car wrapped if you want to keep the factory paint or if its something different like chrome or carbon! If it's just a color change it would be cheaper to get it painted as most professional companies charge between £1800-2000. And a professional paint job can cost as little as £1000. There is companies out there that charge between £500-600 for a full car wrap but don't expect it to look factory as a good wrap looks like a paint job and a bad wrap has joins and cresses with the odd bubble and flake hear and there lol.