The mkiv Supra Owners Club

shell 10w40 ok? TT

k9l3

Why would you buy oil that isnt recommended when there are so many recommendations to choose from? Did you get it for free?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?56684-FAQ-Oil-Fluid-Interval-Capacity-Steering-Brake-Coolant-Diff-Engine.&p=2844732&viewfull=1#post2844732

That person asked about helix oil in the oil faq thread. It seems the search is now working, well done mods.

I bought it when I first bought the car incase I needed to top it up and thought I check if it ok and if so use it for oil change but if you say no good I leave it.

so it got be the semi synthetic only Ye?

Why only semi synthetic?

I personally cant see any issues with it but i would always go with what opie and other oil men recommend. For the sake of 50 quid I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Not saying it wont be better, just dont see the point. If the mighty Toyota corporation thought it was good enough then its fine IMO :)

Also, wish people would stop worrying about mileages. 90k is nothing, its barely run in. Look at ScottMs project thread, look at the condition of the cylinders. When the engines done 190k worry about special oils :)

Not saying it wont be better, just dont see the point. If the mighty Toyota corporation thought it was good enough then its fine IMO :)

Also, wish people would stop worrying about mileages. 90k is nothing, its barely run in. Look at ScottMs project thread, look at the condition of the cylinders. When the engines done 190k worry about special oils :)

Totally agree, i think wires are being crossed. The op said semi synth only, I asked why as fully synth would also be an option, and imo a superior one. I was asking where the semi synth only comment was coming from :)

One thing to remember is that toyota also recommended 4k or 6 month oil changes with the oil they recommended. I always go fully synth and high quality oil, but I dont change any more than once per year. Modern day oils are far better than they were when Toyota made their recommendations.

ok I won't mix. I thought Toyota oil is actually shell helix. ?

Not sure, how old is your toyota and how old is the shell helix brand?

Do you think Toyota recommend the best oil for their cars or do you think they offer the product of whoever they are in bed with that has a reasonable enough standard?

When Toyota originally specified an oil for the Supra, you have to remember that oil specs where somewhat different then,

and that the oil industry has since moved on, so that oil was probably not even equal to a very low spec discount motor oil of today,

the same can be said of a lot of older motors, everybody worries and frets over which oil to use in their older cars, when in reality even the most lowly (cheap) oil is probably far better that the original specified stuff;)

When Toyota originally specified an oil for the Supra, you have to remember that oil specs where somewhat different then,

and that the oil industry has since moved on, so that oil was probably not even equal to a very low spec discount motor oil of today,

the same can be said of a lot of older motors, everybody worries and frets over which oil to use in their older cars, when in reality even the most lowly (cheap) oil is probably far better that the original specified stuff;)

how do you find the 350gt ?