The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine swap due to high milage.

gavin.starr

I have been thinking reacently that my car seems to bbe a bit under powered. I have just noticed some every day cars that i should be able to pi*s all over seem to be somewhat able to keep up (ish) even though im at BPU.

I have also been thinking about geting a good stock block with low milage and swapping the engine over, and then use my old block to upgrade slowly over time into somthing along the lines of a single conversion :)

The engine of mine has of late started to make a few noises, like ticking etc..., The power steering rack needs replacing as it has started leaking and whines away when the fluid gets low, there is also a leak of oil which i have no idea where it is coming from, and on a spirited drive the exhaust starts smoking with the drips of oil on it( when stationary).

So this winter i need to spend some serious time sorting the old girl out.

she has covered over 160k weather or not that is a mix of km aswell as miles im not sure.

How much is just a block with pistons and cams etc... going to cost me. Basicly just a case of engine out, swap over turbos etc.. and drop back in.

Gav

Buy the sounds of it i'd buy a breaker and swap the engine including turbos and have the p/s off it as well.

I guess its not had the valve stem seals done, is the oil leak onto the exhaust in the engine bay, possible cam cover seals.

Has it ever been compression tested or had a leakdown test done ? I'd do that before i ripped it out as their very easy to do.

Ive never had any of the above done, but i was looking at it along the lines of if im going to get a new engine anyway i may as well take it out and get it sorted, and just use my old engine to upgrade in the way of internals and gaskets etc to stop the oil leak.

Once it is out it will be easier to replace the power steering rack etc.. whilst the bay is empty.

I will get the compression test done soon and see what results i get. Just out of intrest what do you think the going rate should be for a leak down test.

Wouldn't it be best to build up a lower mileage, better condition engine? It may make no difference depending on which parts you change, just wondering.

I can see what your saying.

But i want a low milage engine that i know is going to see me through untill my engine is rebuilt i dont want my engine die'ing on me halfway through building a new younger block. Its going to take me some time due to the fact i have just used all my savings buying a house so im now skint again. so it could be anything in the region of around 2 years before im finished. And then at the end i will still be left with a good block if anythiing goes wrong.

Gav