The mkiv Supra Owners Club

r154 box from a 7m, info please!

suprasize

Okay, dont know if im going into a really silly swap but anyways I need info...

Been on the look out for a r154 box for a while, however the box in question is from a 7M, what parts would i need to make this usable in my mkiv... reason I want to swap boxes with my mkiv w58 is because im in talks atm with taking a 1jz out of a soarer and doing a full on conversion... (1jzgte + r154 box... just the way it should be ;)...)

Can someone please shed some light on what would be required?

Things Ive found so far are it needs a new bellhousing, and a shifter extension... anymore?

Also, is swapping a w58 for a r154 a good idea? especially down the route im going with the 1jz...

Please shower me with information :)

Thanks,

Dan

Would the w58 be okay to run a 1jzgte okay? Im hopefully off to France next year again in the Supra, but would be so peeved if the box went pop out there (I know I tend to always think of the worst case scenarios... haha). Ill be running stock 280bhp for a while first I suppose :)

with a good clutch you wouldn't see any problems with that gearbox. problems occur when you rant it, but then, thats the same with any gearbox at any given bhp.

typically, up to 300bhp a good condition w58 would be classed as reliable. your need a higher spec clutch though.

Well thats a definite yes haha (mines a part worn clutch atm... :/!!!) Might aswell do the clutch and relase bearing whilst the new engine is being planted ;)! Fair enough ill stick with the w58 for a while then :) itd be a shame to give it away I suppose :).

with a good clutch you wouldn't see any problems with that gearbox. problems occur when you rant it, but then, thats the same with any gearbox at any given bhp.

typically, up to 300bhp a good condition w58 would be classed as reliable. your need a higher spec clutch though.

• 4 weeks later...

revamping this thread, a r154 box has now just came available (£500)... Okay its from the 7m, but is that really a problem to mate up to the 1jzgte? what would be needed?? If its such a problem like I said earlier on this thread I may just stick to the w58, but need to know if itd be cost effective to go for the r154 from the 7m or not atall...

bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, shifter extension (120 quid), speed sensor converter (90 quid)

make sure it comes with the first part of the prop though, or you'll be stuck.

okay,

r154 box = £500

driftmotion are doing a bellhousing for approx £200.

a stock flywheel (new) = £175

a stock clutch kit = ?? (not checked yet, but stock will be fine for the time being, so anyone have a spare lying around pm me ;)...)

prop is apprantly around the cost of the fly so another £200.

shift extension = £120

and speed sensor = £90

a rough grand total including this box will be = £1.5k :( so expensive! :( if anyone has any of the following parts that they are selling cheaper though :) PM me ;) haha