The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MR2 -> Supra?

Jata

Hello all,

I've never posted on here before and do not currently own a Supra but I'm hoping you may be able to help me with that. I currently own a standardish Rev3 MR2 Turbo and have come to a cross roads of sorts. I'm looking to build my dream car and am debating whether to stick with the MR2 or sell up and get a TT manual Supra with the possibility of going single later on. My concern is that I could spend a lot of time and money on my MR2 only to possibly regret it further down the line. I'm on an average sort of income and foresee incremental upgrades over time. I'm a relative novice at car maintenance / mechanics but am looking to learn by fixing and upgrading my car myself where possible.

So I'll try and spell out the comparative pros and cons as I see them.

MR2 good points:

Feels compact and chuckable

Accelerates well for comparatively little power

Cheap to run and maintain

MR2 bad points:

It feels a little 'flighty' at higher speeds which I understand to be a common trait rather than a specific issue with my car.

I'd prefer it to be a little bit more long legged in top making for a more relaxing drive.

Working on the car is an absolute sod due to the engine bay being so tight.

Supra good points:

Long legged relaxing drive (When desired!)

Easy, reliable power while still being quite torquey

Front engined, easy to work on?

Supra bad points:

Quite a large car, potentially not very nimble?

Comparatively expensive to buy, run and maintain

I've seen and most importantly heard some gorgeous single Supras and am very very tempted. Essentially then I'd appreciate people's advice on this. Has anyone made that same swap from MR2 -> Supra? Are you happy you did it? Is there something I've perhaps not considered? I appreciate I'm posting on a Supra forum and so more than likely will get a somewhat biased response but all the same I'd like to hear your views!

If I did make the jump I'd most likely do it next year but for the moment Supras are haunting my dreams! Anyway enough rambling! Over to you...

Welcome..!!

I have never driven an MR2 but I imagine the Supra will feel like a much higher quality car. They are reasonably good in the twisties but not brilliant. If I were in your position I would go for the TT Supra at around BPU levels as I imagine that would be enough fun to keep you interested until you want to go single.

H.

Welcome..!!

I have never driven an MR2 but I imagine the Supra will feel like a much higher quality car. They are reasonably good in the twisties but not brilliant. If I were in your position I would go for the TT Supra at around BPU levels as I imagine that would be enough fun to keep you interested until you want to go single.

H.

+1 on that, just feel the supra is a much more well built car and better all round imo

I had an MR2, Celica and then the Supra.

Loved the MR2, as you say it's like a little go kart, having said that the Supra is a whole new ball game. Massive power, handles fairly well (not as good as the MR2) superb at stopping. I'd say it's the top of the Toyota tree, I liked the MR2 but don't miss it compared to the Supra.

It's no contest - after owning both - modified and stock.

Stock for stock, the Supra is a much more civilised car and at speeds below 60, is as quick as a Rev 3 MR2 Turbo. After 60, though, the Supra walks away.

Modified, then the Supra wins all day long. A BPU Supra @ 1.2bar will blow a 1.2bar MR2 Turbo away.

After that, then the chassis of the MR2 can't cope with the power, it can't put it down with the narrower rear tyres. It's TOO much of a handful.

If you want a fast "town car", then I'd build an MR2 with a GT28RS and a good ECU.

If you want a fast car, then get a Supra and read around here!

Welcome to the club :)

Quite a few members on this forum have gone from MR2 to Supra, Johnny above has good experienced advise above.

I'd highly recommend you go to a Supra near you & if possible out in one, Mark my words, you'll be impressed ;)

It really is a hard decision mate. I was in the fortunate position where I had access to both due to me handing the reigns of the MR2 over to my Wife for a while. I don't regret the trade for 1 second but there is nothing quite like getting behind the wheel of a nicely tuned MR2. Mine was running around 280hp and it scared the pants off of all my mates. The Supra does the same but in a completely different fashion. The Supra is refined, comfortable, easy to drive, smooth.... the MR2 is none of those things and feels completely raw.

In a perfect world I would still have both to be honest. The Supra would win 9 times out of 10 when it was a choice of which car to go out in but I can assure you I would grinning from ear to ear everytime I chose to go out in the MR2.

As Johnny says you can't take the MR2 very far unfortunately. I would say that around 350hp would be the maximum for keeping the car as an "all rounder". A 300hp MR2 will have similar performance to a 400hp Supra below 80, in fact in normal road going guise I think the 1/4 mile times would agree with that. They are very nimble machines and great fun to drive but the Supra is just a more superior car in almost every way.

At the end of the day I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money on your MR2, it will be money down the drain. Buying a TT6 and having it at BPU will hold reasonable value for whatever length of time you decide to keep it (within reason :D).

Happy hunting :)

Oh, check out my garage :D

Well I have to say I think I'm sold. Come next year I think I will be selling the MR2 and hunting for a Supra! Most of what has been said has confirmed what I suspected, however I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that the build and ride quality are noticeably superior. I suppose it makes sense what with it being more of a GT style car. You're quite right about going BPU prior to going single. I'm getting ahead of myself there eh! The only thing I'll want to do prior to selling is nab a ride in one so I know what I'm letting myself in for. Perhaps someone on here could oblige closer to the time?

I've just been watching this:

I could do that all day! Lovely roads and a lovely car!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.