The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this a con?

Biguns

I have been contacted about my supra that I have for sale by email.

The buyer wants to payme via paypal without even seeing the car then arrange for it to be collected and shipped somewhere, it seems a bit suspicious , is this a common con?

Thx

Doesn't sound great in my book, can't they get there money back out of paypal after the transaction

is done ?

I might be wrong but just be very wary, if they can come and collect it then tell them to turn up with

cash during bank opening hours, they check the car then take them to your bank where they pay the cash in.

Thats the only route i'd be selling my car by.

Normally a con but there are people out there who are genuine. It's a big risk through PayPal though.

Can you ring them and get his name and address, maybe find out why he wants to use PayPal (maybe he's planning on using a credit card so can't get cash), do any research you can on him and if he's genuine he shouldn't hold up any resistance.

if he sends it as a gift theres no comeback.

Only if he got sufficient funds on paypal account. Otherwise transaction will be cancelled if paypal will be not able to pull money out of his assigned account (empty account). I wouldn't do it if I was you.

If he wants to pay you electronically, contact him, give him your bank details and get him to do an online transfer. Once the money is cleared into your account it's yours!! If he needs to use a credit card, he can always do balance transfer into his account. Just means he'll have to take a hit on the fee! Either way, my car wouldn't be going anywhere without cash in my hand or firmly in my bank account!!

i would not give anyone bank details mate. i had somethin similar when i was selling a car paid for my car in full plus more to cover shipping in cheque etc i didnt even bother .

cash only i would say and if he saying he has someone to pick the car up well then they can sort the cash out. once the cars gone its gone

i would not trust a bankers draft either find out by your bank if there is a safe way of dealing with it. maybe they can send it to a holding account , when we use to send money to china we use to use western union, then make sure money is cleared and in your hands before sending car.

and yes it is a common con i have sold loads of cars through ebay and had quite a few of them messages and they where all similar and worded similar aswell.

Edited by k9l3 (see edit history)

Guest Nicknackwack

This is known as the 'Nigerian 419' scam ~ google it for more info ~ basically it is an advance-fee scam and it is well documented.

Under no circumstances fall for it ! Under no circumstances give your paypal details ;)

It is a common ploy amongst free ads (i.e. Gumtree).

But you can have some fun with it and turn the tables, the object being to waste the scammers time: http://www.419eater.com/index.php

Thanks guys

I've told the buyer I'm not interested in selling to her.

Damn scammers by the way the person was called Jessica Knowles and here was the email.

"Thanks for the response,i am so much interested in purchasing your car and i'm very okay with your price,but i will not be able to come and view it cos i'm not in town presently,i would love to know it's present condition and the reason why you wanted to sell it and i will arrange for the shipping company to pick it up at your residence after the payment might been clear,so kindly get back to me with your PayPal email address.So that i can proceed with the payment as soon as possible.

Thanks and hope to read from you soon.

Cheers"

Could you not just accept paypal payment then transfer money to bank account and witdraw it, then once you have it hand the car over ?

Paypal favour the buyer in a dispute, so if the buyer says they never received the car (harder to prove if it was a transporter picking it up) PayPal will take the money back out of your account.

I do cash only or Bankers Draft as some people do not want to carry large amounts of Cash....If bankers Draft I march the buyer to the bank and get it verified and confirmed before I let any car go......Even Bankers drafts are not guaranteed until verified by bank..........these are the only payment methods you should accept .......although Bank transfer from account to account is good and safe but can take 2 days toclear depending on which bank you are with so all things to bare in mind