The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Turbos Does Everyone Use???

Guest BradD

Hi guys, as the title states what aftermarket turbos does everyone use? I've recently bought an N/A and i plan to put a turbo on it so just interested in what everyone's using. Need some advice on what to choose and whats best but not to expensive, i'm in no rush though. Also obviously if anyone has one that they no longer need, upgrading or need the money once its not cos its broken, i'd be interested depending on price and if its everything required to put a turbo in. And speaking of that what exactly will i be needing to put the turbo in, like of course the turbo, an intercooler, BOV etc.......

Any input would be helpful

Thanks Brad

As Ricky says the whifbitz kit is one of the best ones, though converting an NA into a turbo involves a lot of work and isn't as simple as just bolting a turbo onto the engine.

A conversion will cost you quite a bit especially if your not doing the work yourself once you convert it there's also the issue of whether your gearbox can withstand the power. A cheaper option is to get a tt engine plant which is something most the traders here do and it'll cost you around £2500. Another option is to just enjoy the NA for now and save up for a tt.

If you have your mind set on building an NA-T then have a look at clubna-t.com or search here as the topics been covered a lot.

Also here's the link to the whifbitz kit to give you an idea of whats needed.

http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/new-products/toyota-supra-na-t-kit/

Well i'll be doing the work myself, bringing down the costs but i want to get more power then the tt so i wanna put a big single turbo on the engine, so its not worth taking apart a twin turbo engine just to do that. Also at the moment I have an Auto so will that withstand the power, although i do want to swap to a manual gearbox in the future too. And are these turbo kits cheaper in the in the US?

Suggest that you will get what you pay for.

You can't go wrong with the Whifbitz kit. It's not the cheapest but it will work well. These guys know what they are doing!

As far as power goes, if you are looking for much more than 450 then I think you will need a TT to single conversion rather than NA to single. You will get issues due to the compression ratio of the NA and also the engine is nowhere near as strong. Also bear in mind you will be a V160 gearbox for that power so budget £2.5k for that!

If you want big power suggest you go NA-TT in the first instance. Or a better option would be buy a TT!

I'm not at all against the na-t route as I have one myself and love it. In regards to the high compression you can always fit a thicker head gasket or ideally install tt pistons. With stock compression you wont be able to run more than 7-8 psi.

The auto box won't withstand more than 350bhp and the limit on the w58 is about 450bhp even then your pushing it. For more power you'd then need an r154 box out of a soarer or mk3 supra or v160/1 gearbox.

Click on the link for more info on your stock autobox.

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=4145

There are cheaper kits like the xs power kit though a lot of people here have had bad experiences with them the parts aren't up to the job at all. Another option if your on a tight budget is the daveH kit (boostwerx). Again I can't comment on the quality, whereas the whifbitz kit you know all the parts are high end and are made to last.

Here's the link of the boostwerx kit:

http://www.boostwerx.com/turbo_kits.html

So what is actually different on the TT which makes it stronger then the N/A? Is it internally, changable parts or just the block itself? Also in terms of gearbox i do want to swap to a manual so if it has to be done, i'd do it when i come to putting the turbo in, but that means needing different driveshaft and differential right? So maybe its better to buy a TT and with the Getrag box, big brakes etc and mod that?. And if the TT engine is a lot better how much power is it actually possible to get from it with the stock turbos? And by the way i'm in the UK at the moment but in about a year we'll be moving so not 100% on whether i will ship this one over, or buy one there or try and get my hands on a euro LHD one.

If big power is your goal its definitely better to start with a tt6. The main difference between the NA and TT is the pistons and the tt has oil squirters. Not too sure what the difference between the NA and TT auto box are though the TT auto box is also fairly inexpensive.

In regards to the max power from the stock twins take a look at this thread.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-%28Basic-Performance-Upgrade%29

BradD, Use the search, this has been covered every few weeks since 2001 ;)

If you want a quick summary from the last decade: sell it and buy a TT6.

This ;)

And as mention above clubna-t.com has a lot of topic covering NA-T conversions.

Once again, going single and 'on a budget' just dont go together.

Yup, be prepared to spend £10K+ (turbo kit, fueling upgrades, ECU/mapping, cooling, drivetrain, electronics, etc. etc.) if you want a reliable car at the end of the conversion.

sell it and buy a TT6.

:yeahthat:

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

So what is actually different on the TT which makes it stronger then the N/A? Is it internally, changable parts or just the block itself?

The 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE are similar, the TT engine has additional oil squirters for the pistons and has a lower compression ratio.

Also in terms of gearbox i do want to swap to a manual so if it has to be done, i'd do it when i come to putting the turbo in, but that means needing different driveshaft and differential right?

Not necessary to change the diff unless going for really big power, where the larger/stronger diff would be needed.

The Getrag V160/1 6spd manual gearbox fitted in the TT will handle a lot of power. The W58 5spd manual gearbox fitted in most NA's can fail above 350-400hp.

So maybe its better to buy a TT and with the Getrag box, big brakes etc and mod that?.

Yes a TT would be a much better starting point.

And if the TT engine is a lot better how much power is it actually possible to get from it with the stock turbos?

It's relatively easy and cheap to get around 380-400hp out of the stock J-spec turbos, click -> BPU

430hp is around the max you'll get running the stock turbos with additional modifications. See HERE for more details.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

thanks for the advice an all guys, but i'll think i will either leave it till im in the US and find a wrecked TT and swap the Drivetrain over, Box, Diff, Driveshafts ect or sell this one out and look for a TT with all the bits on it. But i'm sure i will end up putting a turbo on it it in the US as parts seem to be a bit cheaper. Also been looking round, found out the W58 will only take around 400hp, R154 600hp,V160 1000HP+ and for the autos 300/350HP and 350/450HP for the TT one, are these firgures right? Im only looking for around 500/550HP, nothing to much so an R154 would be sufficient for the job if i keep the car, but would i still needa change anything for around 500HP, like the N/A diff/ drive shaft or are these capable?

And out of interest do any of you guys run big single turbos? How much power do you get from them, what did u need to do, start of with a N/A or TT and how much did it cost you?

Thanks

Edited by BradD (see edit history)

Im only looking for around 500/550HP, nothing to much so an R154 would be sufficient for the job if i keep the car, but would i still needa change anything for around 500HP, like the N/A diff/ drive shaft or are these capable?

Only the early (93-96) 6spd TT Supras were fitted with the larger diff, all other Supra models (including early auto TT and all 96-02 TT's) were factory fitted with the smaller diff. The smaller diff should cope with 500-550hp.

And out of interest do any of you guys run big single turbos? How much power do you get from them, what did u need to do, start of with a N/A or TT and how much did it cost you?

There are loads of single turbo Supras on here, use the search button or have a look in the Project Section and Forum Garage, link HERE to mine.

If your aim is 500-550hp I would budget around £10K for a basic conversion (turbo kit, fueling upgrades, ECU/mapping, cooling, electronics, drivetrain, etc.)

doing a TT into an NA will only hook you up 280bhp without modifications. NA-T a GE and get yourself 350+. Over 400 gearbox might go pop.

If you go NA-T, build your own kit, get good parts and get cheap where it doesn't matter, intercooler piping etc. Don't cheap out on turbo or ECU.

I'm ordering a BW 362 for my NA-T. Anything much bigger will be too laggy.

You need to do a plan of your power goals and amount you have to spend, and build it around that. Choosing a turbo is a choice made by the power gains you want. High figures, time to spool etc.

Best thing is to look at peoples builds, see what power they get and check dyno curves for response and decide against other peoples results. Search! :)