The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying my first Supra......help!

Guest r.dawson

Guest r.dawson

Now then

Going to view and potentially buy my first supra tomorrow and just making sure im getting a good deal/asking the right questions.

It’s a 1994 NA Aerotop

Standard Spec:

Full electric package. Electric windows, door mirrors, drivers seat.

AC/Climate control

CD player

The car has done 82,700 miles.

It has been delimited and the speedo is in MPH. (Odometer still in KPH, but this does allow you to see the miles are genuine)

After market:

17'' BBS alloys (245 front 255 rear). (With black locking wheel nuts)

S/S exhaust.

Good points:

4 brand new tyres. (have now done aprox 500 miles)

A new timing belt.

Cam belt done at 106,000 Km (65,000 miles)

Brand new wiring for the lights.

A new Japanese Toyota Battery

Old orange side repeaters changed for cystal (clear) ones.

The car has 6 months MOT (Jan 23rd 2012)

6 months road tax (Jan 31st 2012)

Bad Points:

Passenger side lock needs replacing if you wish to be able to lock/unlock it with a key. (still works on central locking button)

Aerial needs replacing.

Aero top sometimes rattles on bumpy roads (all aero tops do this, but I feel I should point it out anyway). It doesn't leak however.

Needs an alarm for the insurance but sorted a potential deal at 3k, what you guys think?

I’ve read the buying guides but they seem geared towards the tt model. Is there anything I should be looking for tomorrow?

Roof just need to be screwed in properly and it will not rattle, especially both front screws and locking one in the middle :) You can get stubby aerial from our group buy once you become member, car looks like a nice and clean example, I never had to use key to open passenger door so I wouldn't be bothered to replace it. In my opinion you got a good deal there for 3k.

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)

Guest r.dawson

we have sorted a deal out at 3k, but if its not as we have discussed I will be wanting a few quid off or Ill walk. this is the first one I will have seen

I could list lots of things but you'd need it on a ramp and a couple of hours checking it over.

If i was buying another mkiv i'd want to check it over myself, the car is 17 yrs

old and looks can be very deceiving ;)

Has it got any service history ? any new or refurbed parts fitted other than the cambelt and battery ?

ac rad and pipework,

brake pipes, calipers,

water rad & cap,

heater matrix,

cam cover gaskets,

dizzy cap & leads,

has the brake fluid ever been changed,

has the atf ever been changed,

has it ever had the suspension geo checked,

are any of the eccentric camber and toe adjusters seized

etc etc

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Those new tyres could be a blessing or a curse, some brands are pants and could take the edge off the ownership experience especially with autumn/winter looming. Ask how long the old tyres lasted, try and find out if the wear patterns were even, new tyres would hide a wear pattern problem that may be linked as Dnk says to poor alignment worn or siezed suspension parts.

I'd be looking at making sure the heater blows really hot, the fluids look fresh'ish, the autobox shifts smoothly etc. Take it in a long run even if the guy does most of the driving, worn suspension/clunking/knocking etc can be annoying and not always straight to identify and then not cheap to rectify.

Saying this and speaking as a multiple supra buyer at 3K and on the few snapshots we've got, the colour, the aerotop, the wheels, the sideskirts etc, I don't think you can go far wrong.......

one other thing check for abs if it's important to you, not all NA's have it.

Those new tyres could be a blessing or a curse, some brands are pants and could take the edge off the ownership experience especially with autumn/winter looming. Ask how long the old tyres lasted, try and find out if the wear patterns were even, new tyres would hide a wear pattern problem that may be linked as Dnk says to poor alignment worn or siezed suspension parts.

I'd be looking at making sure the heater blows really hot, the fluids look fresh'ish, the autobox shifts smoothly etc. Take it in a long run even if the guy does most of the driving, worn suspension/clunking/knocking etc can be annoying and not always straight to identify and then not cheap to rectify.

Saying this and speaking as a multiple supra buyer at 3K and on the few snapshots we've got, the colour, the aerotop, the wheels, the sideskirts etc, I don't think you can go far wrong.......

one other thing check for abs if it's important to you, not all NA's have it.

Agree with all the above, i just didnt want to go on and on and on lol the lists endless