The mkiv Supra Owners Club

window tinting

nuttynutz

hello peeps,

right i am interested in full 35% tints all round (apart from windscreen ofcourse)

want to know where to get done, and how much, who's the cheapest etc etc.

im located in NW london.

at the moment i've been quoted from a few places.

autoshades.co.uk = £180.00 inclusive of VAT

oldschoolwindscreens.co.uk = £285 + vat

pentagonglasstech.com = wont quote me by email

autoworxuk (http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/Displaycompany.do?p=homepage&id=SB0001609758000040) = £240.00. this price includes VAT and labour

refering to this link, seems like £150 is the cheapest i've seen, but in nottingham thats miles away.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9227&highlight=window+tint

Ollie

ps. want to just clarify that 35% is the MAX darkest you can legally have it at the front right?

Window Tinting - Amendments to legislation

During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films” where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the visible light transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels (70% VLT for front side windows). These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban the practice in future of applying virtually any tinted films to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reasons for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is, however, a recognized difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department of Transport have argued however, that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself. The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the solution the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department of Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that maybe considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

No the change is to ur front Door windows legally Tinting companies are not allowed to tint these anymore, but what annoys me is Car companies can rolll them out like it GGrrr

What colour u going for with the tint??

I was thinking of doing a Pale blue like the mercs do i think it looks osphisticated against white

Originally posted by Jake

Kev, are you saying that you have had the windscreen tinted? I believe that insurance companies regularly refuse to pay out on cars that have had this done :eek: Or did you get this cleared with your Ins Co first?

No not the windscreen, the front side windows :p

Guest Sakura
Originally posted by millhouse

Window Tinting - Amendments to legislation

Unfortunately however, even tint films that maybe considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Does anyone know how this affects tints that are added to new vehicles as a "dealer fitted option"? I had extra tints added to a car I bought new in September last year. They are still offering the same option at extra cost, so does this mean that the major manufacturers/dealers are breaking the law by offering this option?:confused:

The company I used would not tint anything that would be illegal on the road, like the windscreen and now the law has changed the front side windows

When the law changed they sent me a letter saying my windows are illegal and they would take the tints off for £25, that was 6 months after I paid £200 to have them done

so they stay untill someone gives me 7 days to take them off :D

Guest Sakura
Originally posted by millhouse

The company I used would not tint anything that would be illegal on the road, like the windscreen and now the law has changed the front side windows

When the law changed they sent me a letter saying my windows are illegal and they would take the tints off for £25, that was 6 months after I paid £200 to have them done

so they stay untill someone gives me 7 days to take them off :D

Outrageous:eek:

I just checked my sales spec for the extras I had added, and noticed that the DFO extra tints are listed as "security glass"! No mention of the % tint.

Originally posted by Sakura

Does anyone know how this affects tints that are added to new vehicles as a "dealer fitted option"? I had extra tints added to a car I bought new in September last year. They are still offering the same option at extra cost, so does this mean that the major manufacturers/dealers are breaking the law by offering this option?:confused:

I think new vehicles have tinted glass not tint film

Originally posted by Sakura

Outrageous:eek:

I just checked my sales spec for the extras I had added, and noticed that the DFO extra tints are listed as "security glass"! No mention of the % tint.

Clear Security Films that only marginally reduce Visible Light Transmission levels on windows forward of the B-Post may be considered to be compliant with the amended Regulations subject to the quality of the fitment being to a standard that does not result in the vision of the driver being obscured in any way.

more info here

Guest Sakura
Originally posted by Willson

I guess this would not be legal then :D

Pic 1

Pic 2

Looks like RayBan did the tints:D Looks good from the outside - I wonder what you can see from the inside:)