The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Compression Test results. Any Good?

adam1983

Bought a compression tester yesterday so today I went out and tested the Supra.

Following instructions on how to do it on here I got the following results:

J Spec TT Manual BPU

(This was done on a cold engine so not sure if it would have a massive impact)

1. 175

2. 175

3. 165

4. 175

5. 168

6. 175

Not sure if cylinder 3 or 5 has a problem as they are different to the others?

Main reason for this test was due to a build up in pressure on the top rad hose which I thought was strange. Did the usual of running it up with rad cap off to get any air out but it keeps coming back. Im also losing coolant from the expansion tank which is also strange even though I dont see any signs of it on the floor of the garage. Also had a garage do a "sniff test" using an emissions tester and they said it was fine.

Any help or input on this would be much appreciated ;)

Just put another one on now and will see how that goes. The one I had on was what came with the koyo rad which was brand new.

When I say hard I mean rock hard which is why it seems strange along with the coolant loss.

Will give this new cap a go though and see what happens.

Can't see it being that though

I had something similar losing coolant from expansion tank and having to top up system every couple of weeks depending on amount of driving. Turns out I had a couple of pin holes in the upper section of the radiator where the flange locates onto the radiator core.

Only happens on long runs where the system get pressurised enough to force coolant out through the pin holes. Bought a new rad and problem solved, no more topping up coolant. Take it for a good hard run and when you switch engine off, open bonnet and check coolant pipes and radiator for any signs of leaking.

Although from your post it seems your radiator may be quite new so that may rule it out, still worth checking all pipes and if possible the water pump as that has been known to leak over time.