The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally got the car dyno'd...

add heywood

Well it's been almost 2 years of messing, adding and fixing the car, but yesterday we finally managed to get the thing mapped so I can start abusing it again :innocent:

It all started over 2 years ago when it was mapped before. Although the car made a respectable 550 bhp (fly) I was expecting a bit more, so cams were ordered to increase the power to the magic 600. With everything else going on (family, busines) etc it took me a while to actually find the time and money to fit them. Just before it was booked in the cooling system started to pressurise when giving it some. I was told it could be either a £10 rad cap or £££££££££ headgasket failure. Because this car is a bit of a bitch it had to be the latter. So It was booked in to have upper engine gaskets changed and cams fitted and shimmed.

When it came to pick the car up, again problems. This time there was a loud tapping noise coming from the top of the engine, but only when the engine was warm. At first I thought it must just be a shim out (easy to rectify) but unfortunately it wasn't. Ended up being the valve caps being very slightly worn and the higher lift profile cam was making this worse. So desicion time again on what to do.

By this time I had thrown loads of money at the car and was starting to lose the love, Toyota wanted around £20 PER CAP!!! (there are obviously 24 of them). So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a fully built head and some brand new cams through Dude at AFR. These were then shipped up and fitted to the car...

Drove the car down to AFR just before I went on holiday to map (and sort a few other bits out). It made 540 bhp (fly). They had maxed out the fuel system even before we had tried to dial anything more than wastegate pressure into the maps. So 2 x fuel pumps, twin hanger and fuelmotive FPR were ordered and fitted. And that is where we were until yesterday... Car was booked in at TDI in Essex for 9am so early start to drive down yesterday morning.

The first stage of mapping we got 592.8 @ 7190 rom (rototest dyno so hub power). This was at 1.1 bar!!!! :blink:

The car actually made more, about 625/630 at the hubs on the second part at 1.2 bar boost but we didnt get a print out as we blew a hose off the intercooler pipework. With the Ridox undetray it's a bitch to see anything so we had to pull it off the dyno to find it. So 625 at the hubs with 15% trans loss it about 715 at the fly... Which I am over the moon with :):D:) And with only running 1.1 / 1.2 bar to get that sort of power gives scope for more with rods pistons in the future.

So a big thanks to Dude and Matt at AFR :thumbs: And also a big thanks to Jurgen at Jm-imports for all his help when we had problems :thumbs:

Edited by add heywood (see edit history)

Congrats add, glad your happy mate, can you feel the jump in performance???

Yes mate definately, Ive not driven it properly on boost for a bit but the thing nearly killed me when I gave it a tickle on the way home lol. The soun is much more aggressive from the screamer and exhaust aswell.