The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Beather setups

Scott

Doing a bit of digging around I have found a lot of opinions on different breather setups. I was wondering what the modern opinions are and some ingsight so that I can decide what I fancy.

I was thinking of just venting to the rear of the car with a couple of mini k&n filters, not sure if this was worth the hassle over a catch tank though?

Thanks.

What is the benefit of running lines to the rear? Would mini filters on the cam covers themselves not be enough? Or is it to stop moulten oil from spewing all over the engine bay (and wheels/tyres I guess) should the worst happen?

-12 lines from the cam covers to a rat bait box with holes drilled in the lid. Cheap, light, and works fine. Probably not high tech or brightly coloured enough for many folk, but saves dosh for things to make the car faster or better in more practical ways ;) Before I went upmarket to a rat bait box I used an empty 4 litre oil container :) Blank off the PCV stuff.

Cheers Chris, at least it means it's a simple enough mod.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the PCV stuff I've to block?

PCV= Positive crankcase ventilation valve, its located in the intake side cam cover and is attached by a hose to the plenum, i kept mine in place till i was about 900bhp.

PCV= Positive crankcase ventilation valve, its located in the right hand cam cover and is attached by a hose to the plenum.

Ahh, yeah I knew about the cam cover one.. do I just pull that out and weld on the -12 fitting?

Didn't realise it went to the manifold too, will get that blocked off.

Cheers

Scott,

If you leave the plenum side connected you might consider putting a filter on the end of the hose conencted to the exhaust cam cover as it will suck air in when the throttle is shut.

Good spot Dan, cheers for that.

Would there be any harm in running the exhaust breather and just blocking off the intake side?