The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Repairing carbon items?

JODY T

is the splitter clear laquer showing the weave? or is it sprayed a colour

Using my psychic ability I'm going to throw a shot in the dark and guess that it's carbon with lacquer.

Of course you may think I cheated and actually read the first post, but honestly... just like yourself... I didn't :)

If its a clear CF splitter and you've got cracks within the resin you'll never get it looking as good as it was, its nigh on impossible to force resin all the way into the cracks (even under vacuum) on a cured composite. They can be repaired, but it wont be mint as the crack lines will be viewable - hence most people opt to paint them when it happens.

Using my psychic ability I'm going to throw a shot in the dark and guess that it's carbon with lacquer.

Of course you may think I cheated and actually read the first post, but honestly... just like yourself... I didn't :)

u cheeky mongoose! :) a sprayed cf splitter with weave showing is possible if its been damaged it would not have to be clear laquer to be showing weave in the damaged area?

u cheeky mongoose! :) a sprayed cf splitter with weave showing is possible if its been damaged it would not have to be clear laquer to be showing weave in the damaged area?

Yup, but as he said if that was the case he could easily repair and spray it ;)

Lol :D Jody, I think you ccan re laquer it, Sand it down with really fine paper

maybe he didnt know. mongoose :p

He did know, as he said.

I'll quote since you can't be bothered reading it...

now I know I could just get it repaired by filling and spraying etc

To me that's saying that he knows he could get it repaired by filling and spraying. I could be reading between the lines though as I guess it is a little vague :)

Think I'll have to get it painted :( won't look as nice but better than a smashed carbon one lol bloody cars lol

How badly is it smashed? Can it be repaired from underneath?

It's 'only' a splitter so a repair won't look as bad as it would in other areas. Depends just how much damage there is though. The best you can hope for is an uneven weave and maybe some discolouration where the crack is. Just depends if it will annoy you with it being there or not.

Yeah the splitter was the focus of the car lol, as the body is standard lol

On the up side i didnt actually buy it, i got it on the insurance when someone damaged by ebay jobbie..

Think ill just get it done satin and spray some of the other trim to match, maybe the wheels too.. at least then it doesnt matter if i hit it again etc

Funny thing is though ive had that kind of splitter on the car for 1.5 years and its been fine, i just swapped my bilsteins with a set of adjustables (same ride height) and ive hit it twice in a month, I guess the bilsteins are softer and ride the harsh bumps whilst keeping the car level better, with the adjustables the car just keeps its ride height at all times going in and out of the bumps etc.. Bloody things lol

Jody,

Have a chat with dude. He has a Subaru where most of the car was carbon. A few parts were damaged and a company called Esser Works managed to repair the damage and it looks like new. The guy who owns the company is called Jay. He is a whiz with fibre glass and carbon fibre. Has done some funky things on many TVRs.

If dude can't I can forward on some pictures for you to Jay to see what he thinks. I know him quite well as he did the respray on my car.