The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heat wrap, how much? Should I wet it?

Scott

How much heat wrap should I be looking to buy? I'm aware that the stuff doesn't really go as far as you think it might but I don't want to go OTT with the spending.

I'm looking to heatwrap the boostlogic T4 manifold and the downpipe.

Just looking for a ballpark figure, I don't need it to the nearest inch or anything :D

Thanks

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

yep it is the long one ive wrapped down to the join/flange.i got 10m originaly and that wasnt enough so i had to get another one.Not sure what the difference is but i got mine off ebay.I think it was 50mm wide

Ive just checked my old ebay purchase and i actually used a lot more than 15m.I bought 10m then afurther 30m.Ive just used 8m so it actually took 32m to do the manifold.

this is who i got it off

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/textiletechnologies

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

yep it is the long one ive wrapped down to the join/flange.i got 10m originaly and that wasnt enough so i had to get another one.Not sure what the difference is but i got mine off ebay.I think it was 50mm wide

Ive just checked my old ebay purchase and i actually used a lot more than 15m.I bought 10m then afurther 30m.Ive just used 8m so it actually took 32m to do the manifold.

this is who i got it off

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/textiletechnologies

Did you wet it to keep the dust down?

:blink:

I know... I know!!

I have plenty of heat wrap left despite covering the turbo, manifold and downpipe. I am now thinking it might be an idea to use the rest to cover the rest of the downpipe & midpipe (keep it completely away from the front of the car), maybe even double wrap.

What are peoples thoughts with soaking it before fitting it? I can see the positives but I assume there are negatives too?

I wrapped the HKS manifold and 4 inch down pipe with about 10 m of the 25 mm wrap. I also wet it, so that you can tension the wrap when you apply it and it tightens when it dries for an even greater seal.

Here's my writeup on SF.com.au:

I've been meaning to do this for some time now - I thought the benefits of insulating as many exhaust parts as possible was an excellent idea for a couple of reasons:

1) massive reductions in underbonnet temperatures (which without a vented bonnet have already resulted in some plastic parts melting!)

2) some increase in turbine spool speed.

There has been a lot of conjecture and anecdotal suggestion that heat-wrapping leads to manifold cracking and/or faster deterioration of exhaust components. However, I have dealt with this possibility by initially purchasing a high quality thick stainless steel HKS manifold, then high-temperature ceramic coating it, then wrapping with 1" fibreglass-based heat-wrap, and finally sealing the cured wrap with high- temperature engine enamel.

Tools required

Heat wrap - prior to soaking in water

BEFORE: Stainless steel HKS manifold

AFTER HEAT-COATING:

Fully wrapped and cured manifold

Sealed & wrapped manifold

The thing on the far left is a tool to tighten, lock off, and remove the excess length of the stainless cable ties.

I recall I used a standard issue engine enamel (used for painting engine blocks, supposedly good for 2000 degrees) - but it started to bake off after a few weeks of hard driving. If I were to redo my wrapping, I'd use that DEI titanium wrap, or the same gear I used but with some kind of fibreglass resin to waterproof it (although that begs the question of corrosion inside the wrap... but from what I've seen so far, the biggest contributor to condensation / moisture is road grime - which should be shielded by the resin waterproofing).

I used stainless steel thred when wrapping mine, and i soaked it in water aswell. alot easier to get a tight fitting getting it in water. i did buy stainless straps aswell but they where kinda useless aswell (i did not have that straptool) i just bought a fair deal of stainless thread and used that. and i thougt i got a much tighter fit using that aswell.

I used stainless steel thred when wrapping mine, and i soaked it in water aswell. alot easier to get a tight fitting getting it in water. i did buy stainless straps aswell but they where kinda useless aswell (i did not have that straptool) i just bought a fair deal of stainless thread and used that. and i thougt i got a much tighter fit using that aswell.

Cheers mate, definitely going to be soaking it then :)

I'm happy to use stainless wire if need be, I can even bring home wire locking pliers :D