The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Autobox availabilty

Dnk

According to Steve Manley the autobox for the tt is no longer listed, you can still get a torque converter

but their over £900 inc vat even with discount.

Does anyone in the club have the Titan rebuilt box that Paul Whiffin sells ?

Im just trying to get more info on how it drives on the street, im not looking

to up my hp unless my o/e twins have a problem in the future and i fit a small single

to replace them.

Also whats the score with these high stall t/c's, do they affect how the car drives on normal daily use, any

disadvantages worth knowing about before i part with £3000 :blink:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Titan box sounds superb for anyone running 750-800hp or more, this is where the boostlogic box can have issues as its meant for up to 750hp ish.

I would love the titan box but for now will have to get my BL rebuilt.

Hi stall can be a right PITA to drive on the street, especially up hills - my 3800 was too much, but my new 3200 hi stall is actually pretty good.

Hi stall can be a right PITA to drive on the street, especially up hills - my 3800 was too much, but my new 3200 hi stall is actually pretty good.

My car will never push the Titan box regards hp as i have no intention of going for big numbers and the only reason i'd up the hp would be if my stock turbo's fail and i fit a small single with say around 500 fwhp

Can you explain the high stall a bit more for me please.

Theres one thing i dont want to do and thats ruin how well the o/e autobox drives.

My car will never push the Titan box regards hp as i have no intention of going for big numbers and the only reason i'd up the hp would be if my stock turbo's fail and i fit a small single with say around 500 fwhp

Theres one thing i dont want to do and thats ruin how well the o/e autobox drives.

Not fancy getting a low mileage second hand one ?

I dont really have much choice Josh, i lost the use of my left arm 20 + yrs ago in a RTA

What about this Dunk I believe it is still for sale.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?252150-New-Boostlogic-Gearbox-amp-3800-High-Stall-More-%A31500!!!

You would need to swap out the high stall for a lower though otherwise it will be as Jamesy said above. But its still a darn site cheaper than a titan box!!!!

The hi stall basically lets the rev "slip" up to the hi stall figure (3200rpm, 3800rpm) ... so when you floor it from low rpm the rev fly up to the hi stall figure then start to grip, so its instant boost :)

Obviously the downfall is with a hi histall its like driving a car with a slipping clutch which is a 'mare going up hills at low speeds etc!!

If you dont want to run 800hp+ then how about you buy the titan, then i swap you for my Boostlogic ;)

The hi stall basically lets the rev "slip" up to the hi stall figure (3200rpm, 3800rpm) ... so when you floor it from low rpm the rev fly up to the hi stall figure then start to grip, so its instant boost :)

Obviously the downfall is with a hi histall its like driving a car with a slipping clutch which is a 'mare going up hills at low speeds etc!!

If you dont want to run 800hp+ then how about you buy the titan, then i swap you for my Boostlogic ;)

So the high stall could seriously hurt fuel economy ?

Isn't your BL box a little bit broken ?

Yes the clutch went inside so its off for a full rebuild So will be as new.

The hi stall is certainly Not fuel efficient :)

So the high stall is really for letting the engine make boost and then launch up the strip.

For road use its not really required and i'd be okay using a stock torque converter with the upgarded box ?

Imagine slipping the clutch every time you wanted to move off, or gain speed from very low engine rpm's, to the high stall RPM figure. People stare thinking you are a learner, fluid temps rise in the box, and fuel consumption goes through the window. They are dreadful on a road car. Try one before even thinking about it. No way would I have one on a daily driver, and if I had need of one at all for drag racing or for an engine with sod all low rpm torque, I'd convert to another box altogether with full manual, rather than electronic control. I feel you'd hate it. There are plenty of people more than capable of rebuilding your box if required. I know at least two. (They won't touch uorated boxes in case anyone is wondering, just stock). I am sure there will still be loads of good used auto boxes around in many years time, too.

The way to make auto boxes last longer is often to up the line pressure, or control pressures. Slippage and heat is what wears them out, assuming it's not brute torque that breaks things like clutch baskets, brake band anchorages, sprags and one way roller clutches. New York taxi drivers fit Raybestos linings and special valve blocks that make for a hard shift, but the boxes last twice as long due to less slippage and less generated heat. They also give better economy. The passengers get a bit of a rough ride though. Electronic control can vary shift quality more effectively then hydro mechanical control, but altering electronically controlled auto box change strategies can be complex / impossible. For stock twins / hybrids on near stock cams the bog standard set up works fine, with good longevity. Risk rebuilt used boxes at your peril ;)

Thanks for your input Chris :thumbs:

What you have said is pretty much what im now finding out about the high stall torque converters so i definitely

won't be going down that rd.

I'd be interested to know who you could recomend to rebuild my autobox, i've found some autobox places here in

the B'ham area but none have really inspired me to leave them with my car.

The strange thing is the fault with the box isn't noticeable on the rd and i only became aware of it when it was on

a hub dyno recently.

It appears to be slipping when the second turbo comes online.