The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering wheel, Steering wheel Boss and Snap Off Adapter discussion.

Scott

I'm looking to get a new steering wheel setup now that I know it won't make too much of a difference to my insurance. I'm looking around at the various options regarding bosses and came across the snap off option. Are there any downfalls to having these installed? I can only think of positives but I was wondering if there was issues with feeling or anything like that.

Is a boss just a boss? I'm not a brand whore so I just want one that works. The ABS one from Driftworks is coming in at around £60, I can get the snapp off adapter for around £40 so would be £100 all in.

Lastly, where is the best place to buy a wheel? What wheels have you guys got?

Comments, thoughts, recommendations? :)

Thanks

Oh, if anyone is selling any of the above give me a shout :)

I had the Momo Millennium which I loved, but this time around I'd go for something more racey, like what JP has. Nothing wrong with a snap-off as long as it does the job. I'm about to buy one for my race car :)

Can't help with what brands are good in the tuning world as I'm rapidly losing touch with it, but Momo, Sparco and those sorts of firms should be able to help... might be more expensive though.

I have the Whifbitz airbag delete boss and a driftworks snap off.

The only downside is I can't reach the column stalks without taking my hand off the wheel.

The snap off pieces usually add 60mm to the distance the rim is from the hub.

Be careful with the snap off bits as there is some cheap rubbish out there. I tried a cheapo one at first and would not even fit!

Make sure it's got the horn connectors too, the driftworks one has but think I paid more than £40 for mine? I had to do a little bodge to get the wires connected for the horn though!

Hope that helps?

No downfalls to a snap off steering wheel i can see, great security device.

If you are worried about reaching the stalks fit a NRG stubby boss.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?252985-New-NRG-stubby-steering-wheel-boss&highlight=nrg

Ive got a whifbitz boss, driftworks snap off kit, driftworks pcd adaptor from momo to nardi, nardi deep dish wheel.

Is the stubby one just narrower than the other ones? I just ordered a driftworks airbag delete boss as I need the airbag removed.

The snap off kit I am looking at is this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SNAP-OFF-BOSS-KIT-FITS-TOYOTA-MR2-SUPRA-CELICA-CAMRY-/170579084365?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b74e444d

This is the slimline version, I was hoping it would help with the stalk issue. I don't really mind if I need to take my hands off though :)

Jamie, you don't have any side photos do you showing the profile of your wheel out from the dash? Just so that I can see the difference all the adapters etc make :)

you dont want to get a large steering wheel, smaller the better i find.

most aftermarket ones are 330-350,

ive got a Personal Grinta on mine, its a 350 feels loverly :)

1928L.jpg

however i have just ordered a JDM tyte white one :)

dgsdfgssfdsegdsgfsdgf.jpg

you want one that feels & looks good.

my personal wil be up for grabs soon :)

you dont want to get a large steering wheel, smaller the better i find.

most aftermarket ones are 330-350,

ive got a Personal Grinta on mine, its a 350 feels loverly :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]137728[/ATTACH]

however i have just ordered a JDM tyte white one :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]137729[/ATTACH]

you want one that feels & looks good.

my personal wil be up for grabs soon :)

Give me a shout when you're selling, I might be 'interesting' depending on the price :)

Give me a shout when you're selling, I might be 'interesting' depending on the price :)

FYI: I bought a 330 sized wheel and did not like it, the steering felt heavy I only had it in the car a few days and ended up giving it to a friend. I replaced it with a Momo Nero steering wheel with Momo boss kit and am very happy with it.

I also did the mistake of buying a cheaper boss kit, from ebay.! they are crud...!

Yes they do, i`m using the 1 you linked to and tbh its not that bad.

I don't really care if the on/off mechanism isn't great or if it's fiddly or not silky etc. All I'm worried about is the feel when you are driving. I don't want it to rattle or have any give when I'm turning. If it locks, and locks well I'll be happy.

What have you found good/not so good about it?

It was abit fiddly to install (getting the horn contacts to line up) other than that it does the job pretty well, also i cant feel any play in it yet. 6 months use.

Stuff it, I'll give it a go. If it's tat and I can't be bothered then I'll just sell it on lol.

I don't mind a fiddly install at all. As I say, as long as it feels solid once on I'm happy :)