The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Several engine problems

Monster supra

Hello all

I have a 94 jap auto supra

First problem is the radiator overflow tank is making gurgling noises & sometimes brown colour water weeps from the black hose on the tank.

Second problem is power steering makes a whirring noise when i turn the steering wheel, could this be due to low fluids (not checked yet)

Third problem is the smell of petrol fumes from the air filter

Final problem

I have a big stereo install done by a authorised dealer.

Done a few years back when someone else owned the car.

It has a split relay under the bonnet , optima yellow top in the boot & I had a new battery fitted in the front about a month ago.

when driving with the stereo on the car wants to stall when i stop , could this be due to not enough charge to engine battery , Should i upgrade alternator or could the split relay not be working right or could this be some other issue

All help would be gratefull

first radiator over flow noise is normal its where the water is no longer cooled by air flow and water expands, its brown because of radiator water can be rusty ( or pinky coolet is used), fush through the cooling system if the coolet is a couple of years old.

power steering normally makes that noise and even more so on full lock,

petrol from air filter, is it a cleanable filter as they might of used petrol to clean it.

My supra used to make the power steering noise when i first got it, becuase she wasnt driven for a while, after a while it went away.

I used to get petrol smells to, still do on hot days, could be running rich and need new 02 sensors? i need to do this

Smell of petrol from the air filter? you sure?! get a new filter from toyota, cost me around £15-25 ish, then take it from there.

I hear of this problem so many times on all sorts of cars, yes a more powerful altenator should be able to handle it as it cant recharge the batterys quick enough due to the demand

Changed my antifreeze yesterday, if you look at the rad from above, at the bottom right theres a plastic plug to drain it, put some new stuff in last year and yesterday it was all brown and rusty. Got some pre mixed red antifreeze from toyota for £20 + vat. You have to fill up the overflow tank to, so id remove and drain that crap out of there to.

Second problem is power steering makes a whirring noise when i turn the steering wheel, could this be due to low fluids (not checked yet)

Could be air in the power steering, check the pipes for splits, check if there are bubbles in the reservoir when turning the steering, could also be gunk in the power steering reservoir - this can either be cleaned or replaced.

There is a general smell of petrol

Last week i took the air filter off the car & it was a strong smell of petrol on it

Today while driving home i could smell petrol in the car ( not liking that )

i didnt have the heaters on either , i turned them on to see if the fumes where in the heating system but its not.