The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie Buying Guide

Alpine

Ello people,

Just spent the last 20 mins reading some of the boards and some really helpful information there.... thanks.

Just a couple of questions....

1) In the next few months ill be buying a import n/a supra what should i be looking for (or looking out for) to get a clean car?

2) Also has anyone tried an Ecotek Valve on there supra and has it made any difference to your fuel consumtion.

TIA

Guest Terry S

Welcome. I assume the Ecotek question is a wind up:eek: What about snake oil;)

BTW I had a friend selling a very clean NA. Not spoken to him for a few weeks but if interested I'll ask.

just to clarify- an ecotec valve is a one way valve which is usually put in line with the vacuum feed to the brake servo (although it can be tapped directly into the inlet manifold) allowing air in from the outside world

They *claim* to give better fuel consumption and performance.

The reality is- they take advantage of the safety aspect (rich running) of a standard cars fuel map and lean it up by letting unmetered air into the system.

Obviously no use whatsoever in a turbo car as the manifold will be under pressure as soon as you're driving, and i wouldn't touch one on anything anyway to be honest. I would rather pay extra and get a car properly mapped up.

Besides, having what is essentially a leak in the servo feed can't really help the braking situation

You're going to struggle to get insured on any Supra, you may find that a TT is no different premium.

Leave the Ecoteks to the Nova boys :) If you're seriously worried about fuel consumption, I'd advise against getting any Supra.

As for getting a decent one, look at lots to get an idea what the average ones are like, then you'll know a good one when it comes up.

I'm sure someone from the BBS would be willing to go with you and check one out if you were serious about buying it.

We all live in different areas so I'm sure it would be close to one of us.

Do bear in mind what I said about the fuel though. It can be done, and if you really understand what its going to cost, then go for it. :) I was running cars that did worse mpg than the Supra when I was 19 but it did cost me ALL my money to do it. :D

Insurance isnt a problem as its only £150 more than my mondeo. While a TT is over £1000 more than my mondeo.

Fuel and servicing isnt too much of a consern, just the thought of getting a dog of a engine and something big going.

Considering getting a warrenttee to cover the big bits.

I really think you are being quoted for a MKIII supra, many of the NA owners are paying over £1k. For example I'm 24, 6 Yrs NCB clean license and I'm paying £1400. A TT is pretty much always cheaper to insure than an NA, god knows why.

If you don't mind me asking who did you get the quote off

I got a nice NA supra at 20 and insurance was just over a £1000 and that really annoys faye :p

i think u have been quoted on a MkIII espically if an online quote and espically if it off the Elephant site!

Im 21 now and insurance £20 cheaper. I have never asked for a quote on a TT so i dont know about insurance prices for that.

I bought My NA supra totally standard with the OEM toyota body kit for £8500 . i havent a clue what ud pay now

Well mines from Quote-a-car and its just over £1000 and ill be 20 in november :) sorry to annoy anyone i havent had the pleasure of saying hello to :D

Im going to southampton car auctions to buy the car in hope of a bargin. Anyone been there?

Originally posted by Alpine

Im going to southampton car auctions to buy the car in hope of a bargin. Anyone been there?

Yeah I've been there a few times. The some of the 4x4s are OK but the Supras there are usually in terrible condition. Personally I'd buy one privately. There's loads of NAs on Autotrader that have been for sale for months and I'm sure a lot of those NAs could be picked up very cheaply.

Well mines from Quote-a-car and its just over £1000 and ill be 20 in november :) sorry to annoy anyone

Yeah but that quote is for a MK3 Supra. Sure, it'll get you a cover note but it wouldn't be any use when it came to making a claim.

Originally posted by Jake

Yeah but that quote is for a MK3 Supra. Sure, it'll get you a cover note but it wouldn't be any use when it came to making a claim.

Well Alpine may be lucky and have a really good quote they certainly have the SZ model on their books. I just can't work out why my quote was so high!!!

Doh, feel like a complete muppet now :(

But on the flip side im looking after my friends Mitusubishi GTO TT for 5 months.

As for the supra back to the drawing board and ill hope to pull something out the hat.

Mums name might be in order :p

Guest Sakura

Doh, feel like a complete muppet now :(

It's not your fault that the insurance company can't quote on the right car, even when you give them the right information. Some just don't listen!;)