The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is the best wheel and tyre size set up?

Parry_10

Just wanted to gather some info/opinions on this please.

I want to base this on bpu/small single power levels. At the moment I am running 19" alloys with 235/35/19 on the front axle and 265/30/19 on the rear axle. (had my geometry set up as well)

I want to buy a set of the xxr 527's and wondering what would be the advantages/disadvantages if I went for 18" over 19" apart from size obviously and the fact I would need to buy new tyres and get the geo re done. Ive only recently bought a new set of avon zz3's

cheers

18s with 275 35 rear.245 40 fronts,better ride than 19s.

Pete

ok cheers

What does your car drive like now ?

feels fine to me just heard a lot of people saying 18" are the better option so now im wondering do I change to 18" now or stay 19" and why so many people pick 18 over 19"

Basically the car has got pretty poor camber control in droop and bump, especially at the rear and wide ultra low profile tyres do not go well with poor camber control. A taller, more compliant sidewalled tyre suits the car better. More modern cars with fancy multi link suspension are better designed to utilise ultra low profile tyres, plus 50% of it is probably fashion driven, modern styling thought seems to favour huge diameter wheels.

I want to buy a set of the xxr 527's and wondering what would be the advantages/disadvantages if I went for 18" over 19"

Looks like 18" is the largest diameter they are available in.

Front 18x8.75 +35 would fit okay.

Looks like 18x9.75 +20 is the largest rear offset which wouldn't be ideal as the wheel would extend out past the wheel arch by around 9mm.

http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_527.shtml

http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-527-Wheels-s/1649.htm

Basically the car has got pretty poor camber control in droop and bump, especially at the rear and wide ultra low profile tyres do not go well with poor camber control. A taller, more compliant sidewalled tyre suits the car better. More modern cars with fancy multi link suspension are better designed to utilise ultra low profile tyres, plus 50% of it is probably fashion driven, modern styling thought seems to favour huge diameter wheels.

Chris If I put on a 295 rear over the current 275, this is a bad idea? Reason I want a wider tyre is for rim protection ;)

Its a 10.5, dont worry i checked your Calculator ;)

:D I wasn't going to post it again :)

As you know its the biggest you should be going, i prefer to be on the smaller side to be

honest and depending on the sidewall profile i doubt you'll get much kerb protection, a

few tyres come with a rim protector built into the sidewall but it didnt save mine on

one occasion :(

Learn to park or stay a foot away like i do :D

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

:D I wasn't going to post it again :)

As you know its the biggest you should be going, i prefer to be on the smaller side to be

honest and depending on the sidewall profile i doubt you'll get much kerb protection, a

few tyres come with a rim protector built into the sidewall but it didnt save mine on

one occasion :(

Learn to park or stay a foot away like i do :D

It might help if the mechanic tighted my steering rack, in my case :(

I am running a 275 35 profile so was going to get a 295 30 profile becasue they seem to be going for a good proce on camskill

Your racks loose :blink:

Got the brushes done on it and they forgot to tighten it; found out at 100 km heading for a curb about a foot high, turned the wheel ; nothing happened and curbed all the side of the wheels, no body work damage thank god

This was about 1year and a half back, still pissed off to this day. Only had the volks on here 11 months , not a mark on them till that incident

Would a single turbo run well on 17's

Get yourself a set of stock 17s. Put the rears on the front and get the front one's widened to 11" then slap some 315s on them with some meaty side walls. Should have a fair amount of grip then! ;)

Thats not good but i guess it could have been lots worse.

Did you get any compensation off them ? i'd have sued them for negligence or something.

Nothing, it was my mate that did it. He also ripped me off on labour, had it out with him on that. Who need enemies when you have supposly friends like that! They just hear I work in IT and think ahhh $$$$

Nothing, it was my mate that did it. He also ripped me off on labour, had it out with him on that. Who need enemies when you have supposly friends like that! They just hear I work in IT and think ahhh $$$$

:blink: Thats pretty sad that a mate would take advantage thinking you know nothing, he'd be an ex mate if it was one

doing this to me

:blink: Thats pretty sad that a mate would take advantage thinking you know nothing, he'd be an ex mate if it was one

doing this to me

I am not fool, so knew he was taking the piss; Got Colin in SSI to take a look at his work and we are a bit weary the lower suspension arm is new; looks in as bad condition as the other. I give him the going rate for a new part plus he also tries to stiff me on the labour

Havnt gone near him in the last 2 years and take my cars else where, alot of garages over here I find are robbing SOB's