The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do I need an upgraded fuel pump or.. ?

95supra

Would be great if you could could read and help me out! thanks in advance.

Ok so here is the deal.

I bought my Supra a few weeks ago.

Whenenver I hit 0.5 bar my car stuttered a lot and shaked... basically it was misfiring.

So I changed the coil packs and spark plugs, the problem was gone.

The car is still very sluggish though. Sometimes I will try to excelerate and my RPM will jump from like 3000 to 4000-6000 and the car just won't go.

Also today why I was driving on the highway this happened a few times but the car randomly started shaking. It sounded like it was choking and when I stepped on the gas it had no response at all. It was just BUB BUB BUB BUB for 5-10 secs and it went away.

My performance upgrades are as follows:

greddy twin intake

blitz nur spec r catback exhaust

mishimoto radiator

thick blitz intercooler with 3" poping

vent to atmosphere wastegate

etc..

no boost controller or not piggybacks, but have boost gauge, oil temp, engine pressue I think as well (total of 3).

so I have an exhaust with full stock cat.

From the description I give does it sound like I need to upgrade my fuel pump or what exactly is happening? is my boost spiking or am I hitting fuel cut?

the car drives much better with the new coils and plugs but I want it performing as it should! I would like to get a downpipe but I don't want to till I get this problem solved.

this is a 1995 jdm tt6.

Edited by 95supra (see edit history)

I have a twin disc clutch masters clutch setup.

When I release the clutch it looks like the clutch does all the work. It will be engaged but the starts are always very very slow and shitty. I can't even gun it because the clutch is still hooking on.

I know a good mechanic and he told me it could be the release throw out bearing or something... he has heard a lot of twin disc lutches and this one was different or something.

HT leads? what exactly is that

They are the wires between the distributor and the plugs, only the 2J-GE/NA has HT leads.

Sometimes I will try to excelerate and my RPM will jump from like 3000 to 4000-6000 and the car just won't go.

From your description it sounds like the clutch is slipping ie. the engine is revving but you aren't getting forward drive. To test try accelerating from 30mph in 4th gear, this will put more load on the clutch, if it is slipping you will see/hear the engine revs rise but will get little/no forward drive. Only try this once as a slipping clutch generates a lot of heat.

You know what.................. I think my clutch is fuked.

I was rolling in traffic, I forgot what gear I was in this vid (either 4 or 5). I will try accelerating but my engine will rev up and I JUST WONT GO!!!!! it happens in most gears.

When the clutch is cold for the first 15 minutes of driving it is rather smooth. For longer periods its horrible.

Also when starting in grears 1 and 2 it grabs very very slow. I can't even keep up with traffic till I get into a higher gear.

Sometimes when I am not in gear or engaging the clutch there will be some chatter as well...

I'm hoping my clutch is fine just maybe something smaller.

here is a vid, this is what a slipping clutch looks like?

and no I was not revving this is my simply stepping on the gas trying to get the car to go.

[video=youtube;AEar4-no2hg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEar4-no2hg

BTW, this was origianlly a n/a 5-spd. Converted to 2JZ-GTE V160 6-speed. Has n/a differential so the speedo is a bit off. I was going about 60 km or so not 30 lol

Edited by 95supra (see edit history)