The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Modified VS Wing - now with reduced drag!

GlennK

Well, after last week's Suprapod I've looked at ways to improve the times and one simple mod is to remove the top wing:

DSC01195.jpg

and the top view:

DSC01196.jpg

Tomorrow I'll give it a road test and see...

P.S. I can now open the boot without it falling down and hitting my head! That wing weights a few kilos :)

It's a horrible wing, I hated having it. In fact when I decided I was going with a TRD I took it off to trial fit the TRD and didn't bother putting it back on. I then ran wingless while I prepared to get the TRD painted. Things kept getting in the way with the painting and I then decided I was going to get a full respray. At that point I grabbed a can of matt black, sprayed up the TRD and fitted it like that for a while.

Veilside got immediately filed under "B".

Result is that there's much less wind noise and car feels quicker. Private track this morning showed 3100rpm for 90mph and 3400rpm for 100mph. IIRC the numbers with the doublespoiler were around 500rpm more for the same speed.

So - and I am looking at Scott's picture - the half spoiler looks ugly...but performance seems better.

Sugestions for OEM wing guys? - I like the small blade someone has on the forum - what one is that?

Cheers for the comments. I am ready to change the wing primarily for performance gains but a little bit for looks too. Maybe go 'commando' and have no wing ;)

Result is that there's much less wind noise and car feels quicker. Private track this morning showed 3100rpm for 90mph and 3400rpm for 100mph. IIRC the numbers with the doublespoiler were around 500rpm more for the same speed.

So - and I am looking at Scott's picture - the half spoiler looks ugly...but performance seems better.

Sugestions for OEM wing guys? - I like the small blade someone has on the forum - what one is that?

Cheers for the comments. I am ready to change the wing primarily for performance gains but a little bit for looks too. Maybe go 'commando' and have no wing ;)

Your speed per RPM can't change. RPM is revolutions per minute. If 3100 revolutions per minute equates to 90mph then there is no amount of aerodynamic modifying you can do to change that. The only thing you can do is change the rolling radius of your wheels to affect that (or do something with the gearbox I guess).