The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shipping to the us

Guest BradMD

Guest BradMD

Hi guys, i don't plan to live in the UK for to long more and so when i move i want to take my supra with me, i've seen the prices in the US and they seem pretty expensive, maybe the left hand drive conversion or something, so i'd prefere to ship mine. I'm not to worried about the shipping price but more so when its there as i've heard that the car being shipped over needs to be of specific standards or tests need to be done, not 100% sure, so if anyone has done this before, will be doing it or knows anything let me know. Obviously if it costs to much i will have to sell it and I WILL buy another one :)

thanks Brad

Cant take a RHD supra to the usa, as they havnt done the crash tests to certify them, if you take 4 RHD supras you can, as 3 will be crashed tested then RHD supras can be registered legally...you could get it into the country, but you will have a heck of a time trying to register it.

Guest BradMD

well im sure everyone else would be happy with me testing for them, so they cant use the original japenese crash test information? When you say heck of a time, so is it actually possible or will it just cost too much?

Anything is possible mate, once you have contacts they could always take you around a loophole...thats what i meant.

No they wont use the japanese info as they have their own rules, even though the us supras were produced in japan they did all their testing for the us specs on their own back in 1993 etc etc...techincally the chassis are different, RHD/LHD...even though when it comes to crash testing the results would be very close...

Guest BradMD

So they would have been imported i guess, i havent been on here long enough to know but is there anyone in the US that you know who has imported their supra?

Guest BradMD

hey, i don't have my car atm as its at a friends warehouse, BHG needs fixing, but do any of you guys know whether this label is on the Supras and where or so, its mentioned in the second paragraph?

Safety, Bumper, and Theft Prevention Standards

Importers of motor vehicles must file form DOT HS-7 (this link is a .pdf file; click here for free download software) at the time of vehicle is imported to declare whether the vehicle complies with DOT requirements. As a general rule, motor vehicles less than 25 years old must comply with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) in order to be imported permanently into the United States. Vehicles manufactured after September 1, 1978, must also meet the bumper standard, and vehicles beginning with model year 1987 must meet the theft-prevention standard.

Vehicles manufactured to meet these standards will have a certification label affixed by the original manufacturer near the driver’s side door. If you purchase a vehicle abroad that is certified to U.S. standards, you may expedite your importation by making sure the sales contract identifies this fact and by presenting the contract to U.S. Customs at the time of importation.

Guest davismj711

If I may chime in.

OP, it depends on the State you plan to move to. I have several friends driving RHD Supras, many of them will register the Auto in a State that they do not reside, (South Carolina) being a favorite. All that is needed is a friend that will share his residence address with you. In short, a RHD can be registered here, if you know the loopholes.

Guest BradMD

Well we plan to move to Florida, but so your saying you can ship it to a certain state and drive it back down to florida? Also though i've read about the EPA and DOT, but for the EPA and the emmisions test, theft prevention and bumper the Supra should pass right? as those are no different with the models in the US, and what is the Bumper test or whatever?

Cant take a RHD supra to the usa, as they havnt done the crash tests to certify them, if you take 4 RHD supras you can, as 3 will be crashed tested then RHD supras can be registered legally...you could get it into the country, but you will have a heck of a time trying to register it.
I never understand this rule, surely if they already have these cars in US Spec the result of an accident with the steering wheel being on the opposite side isn't going to make a massive difference? What will they do after they crash test 3 of the cars, write down on the report "After testing 3 cars of this model I can confirm in an accident the steering wheel remains on the incorrect side, therefore it is dangerous to drive".

I never understand this rule, surely if they already have these cars in US Spec the result of an accident with the steering wheel being on the opposite side isn't going to make a massive difference? What will they do after they crash test 3 of the cars, write down on the report "After testing 3 cars of this model I can confirm in an accident the steering wheel remains on the incorrect side, therefore it is dangerous to drive".

Becuase techincally the chassis are different, and thats it, WE know there wont be much difference in a crash, but the paperwork dosent!

And yea, after the 3 crashes there will be a document to fill the space for supras to be registered legally.

Becuase techincally the chassis are different, and thats it, WE know there wont be much difference in a crash, but the paperwork dosent!

And yea, after the 3 crashes there will be a document to fill the space for supras to be registered legally.

Is this a one off thing which someone has to do & they keep the documentation or you have to do this on every import?

Guest davismj711

Brad, here are a couple links from Supramania and SupraForums US you may want to read concerning your situation.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?115461-Importing-a-Supra&highlight=Importing+RHD

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?563673-Importing-into-the-US&highlight=importing+a+MK+IV

As I said before, I have a good friend SN is AppleSauce at SupraMania, real name is Jordan Parker that has imported a RHD from Canada and registered it in South Carolina.

Edited by davismj711 (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
Guest Mikey Mike843

To be honest bro it depends where you live at emission checks and customs are different for each state. Big states like NYC- Cali- and florida have many rules. But like my home state South Carolina-Charleston and Berkeley county. We dont have emission checks and dont get our vehicle checks each year. With in the next couple months im shipping it over (RHD). Which ever state your moving to check the restrictions B4 you move. I highly advise you to do that if not they might make you sell the car export it back- or crush it. Its alot of crap.

Edited by Mikey Mike843 (see edit history)