The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What are these bits..?

Kilps

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for the ambiguous title; I don't know what to call these bits! I've got a few photo's of parts I have questions about... if anyone can answer them I'd be grateful :) I've been meaning to post these for a while now, so I've got a little collection. I'll change the title or add keywords if/when the bits are identified.

It's a 1996 TT6 (RZ) if it makes any difference :)

1. Plugs from centre console, below head unit in front of gear stick. The three pictured aren't plugged into anything and there's nothing obvious to plug them into. What should they be doing? The only thing I can think of is that one of them might be for the 'rear windscreen aerial' that people speak of. That's a complete guess though.

P8290004.jpg P8290007.jpg P8290002.jpg

2. Yellow rubber thing inside driver side front wheel arch, behind arch lining (I think - struggling to remember). Spare grommet? This one really makes no difference to me, I'm not planning to do anything with it, just interested.

IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0241.jpg

3. Plug underneath the car, again not plugged into anything and nothing obvious it should be plugged into. The blue cable it's attached to disappears into something as shown in the second picture. The third picture hopefully gives some idea of where it is. The loop of the blue cable is near enough centre of the picture.

Also whilst we're here... picture three shows the amount of oil all over everything under there. Is that normal or should I be worried?

IMG_0246.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0265.jpg

4. Rusty bracket thing (not really sure - see pictures). There are two of these, on opposite sides of the engine bay. Both are loose and neither seems to be doing anything. They both look horrible too! What should they be doing? Are they needed?

IMG_0516.jpg IMG_0522.jpg

5. What does this hose do? First picture shows where it comes from and shows it splitting in two. Picture two shows the lower half bending round to the left, where it's cable-tied up and bunged with a bolt. Third picture shows where the end of the upper half goes to.

What is it? Why is it split and just bunged? Obviously for something that isn't there anymore, but any ideas what?

IMG_0530.jpg IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0544[Edit].jpg

That'll do for now... I'm sure you're quite bored enough! If anymore pictures/details are needed to answer the questions, I'll sort them out.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers for responses :)

1 and 2, no idea.

3, is it decatted? might be the cat temp sensor plug.

4, I believe its a brace of some sort.

5, Thats a vacuum pipe, quite why its been plugged with a bolt is anyones guess :blink:

3. It is indeed decatted.

4. Hmmn... it's between two points on the same piece of metal though... why would it need bracing there specifically?

5. Would it have been split originally with the plugged end going to somewhere else? Or have the Y-connector and plugged hose been added?

1. could be the looms for the active spoiler/slip control/ other switch I can't remember that are on the bottom of the heater control panel.

2. Teat for feeding lambs

1. I don't think it is them, I still have buttons down there with connectors connected, although the far left of the three has been replaced with a rear foglight switch. What should be in the far left slot? When the dash is back in one piece, the three connectors pictured sit underneath the centre console, to the right of the gear stick. They don't go behind the dash.

2. I knew it!! :D

Edited by Kilps (see edit history)

1) I believe these are for the auto gearstick lights and solenoids

2) pass, I thought it'd be for the cruise cable but then I remembered that's all internal to the engine bay :)

3) Thats nowhere near the CAT temp sensor, it looks more like the vehicle speed sensor, you can see the black rubber boot over where it goes into the back of the gearbox. It being unplugged is a mild concern :)

4) They are spreader plates, like a big washer for whatever is on the underside of them

5) That's the power steering bypass valve hose. When you turn the wheel at idle, the valve opens and lets some air bypass the throttle butterfly and thus increase the revs slightly to compensate for the load on the engine. It shouldn't be T'd off, looks like a previous owner thought it was a good place to take a manifold pressure reading from.

1) I believe these are for the auto gearstick lights and solenoids

2) pass, I thought it'd be for the cruise cable but then I remembered that's all internal to the engine bay :)

3) Thats nowhere near the CAT temp sensor, it looks more like the vehicle speed sensor, you can see the black rubber boot over where it goes into the back of the gearbox. It being unplugged is a mild concern :)

4) They are spreader plates, like a big washer for whatever is on the underside of them

5) That's the power steering bypass valve hose. When you turn the wheel at idle, the valve opens and lets some air bypass the throttle butterfly and thus increase the revs slightly to compensate for the load on the engine. It shouldn't be T'd off, looks like a previous owner thought it was a good place to take a manifold pressure reading from.

Thank you very much Mr C :thumbs:

1. So is the loom used for all models? Mine being an RZ, has never (as far as I know!) had an auto-box.

2. No problemo :)

3. The gearbox comment is interesting. My reverse lights don't work. Never have since I've had the car, but the bulbs are fine. Could this plug be the issue?? Surely if it was a speed sensor, other things (speedo etc.) wouldn't work?

4. Oh, that's slightly worrying... any clues as to what's underneath? Both are loose/wobbly to the point that you can lift them a few mm off the surface they're sat on!

5. Ah, I see. So I should be alright to remove it and replace it with a new hose (minus the Y/T connector and 'spare' bit)? Is it just air in there, or will I end up covered in anything else?

It may well be the reverse light switch plug then.

Any idea where I might find whatever should be plugged into it? I'll have a look at some point, but if someone knows, it might save me time :)

I would suggest the oil on your gearbox mount is coming from the selector shaft seal. I just had mine replaced as the car was dripping a little oil.

The problem was, all that oil on the rubber in the gearbox mount had caused it to become next to useless!

Cue an updated TRD mount from my friends at Whifbitz. Quite a lot more noise than STD but works well.

Probably not for a daily drive car.

I'll have a look and sort it at some point. Thankyou :)

Technically speaking on factory manual cars those plugs are not present which suggests to me its had a manual conversion.

Hmmn, that's interesting. Are there any other 'tell-tale' signs of a conversion to look for? Or can I find out what 'box it would have had originally using the VIN?

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed as an RZ by the VIN, by the person I bought it from. I've been living in the belief that 'RZ = Factory TT6'. Is this not necessarily the case?

Edit: The 'Model Differences Chart' in this thread shows that a 1996 RZ (column 7) only came with the 6speed 'box.

Edited by Kilps (see edit history)

Look at the trans axle code on the chassis plate on the drivers wing under the bonnet.

If it was a 6 speed from factory it will have v161 or v160.

The only reason i though this is i did a manual conversion on mine and have those 3 wires left where as the manual cars ive looked at do not seem to have these unless there tied right back but then again they were pre facelifts.

Look at the trans axle code on the chassis plate on the drivers wing under the bonnet.

If it was a 6 speed from factory it will have v161 or v160.

The only reason i though this is i did a manual conversion on mine and have those 3 wires left where as the manual cars ive looked at do not seem to have these unless there tied right back but then again they were pre facelifts.

It says V160 :)

Mine had the plugs in Number one also, mine was definitely a manual from factory.

I'm probably wrong and there always there on each car but I do know there for the auto box that I know for certain :D

Mines a factory manual and has those plugs too.

Well there goes my theory :D

Ill just close the door behind me....

Phew! :thumbs:

So m_life, were they used as above, before the conversion?

• 5 months later...
Guest Rsand85
Thank you very much Mr C :thumbs:

1. So is the loom used for all models? Mine being an RZ, has never (as far as I know!) had an auto-box.

2. No problemo :)

3. The gearbox comment is interesting. My reverse lights don't work. Never have since I've had the car, but the bulbs are fine. Could this plug be the issue?? Surely if it was a speed sensor, other things (speedo etc.) wouldn't work?

4. Oh, that's slightly worrying... any clues as to what's underneath? Both are loose/wobbly to the point that you can lift them a few mm off the surface they're sat on!

5. Ah, I see. So I should be alright to remove it and replace it with a new hose (minus the Y/T connector and 'spare' bit)? Is it just air in there, or will I end up covered in anything else?

if the bolts in no4 photo are wobbly i would strongly advise you tighten them as im sure they hold the subframe on!!

if the bolts in no4 photo are wobbly i would strongly advise you tighten them as im sure they hold the subframe on!!

I thought that too.............OP under neath look for the aluminium part of the front subframe, there should be a couple of bolts each side (one is hidden up inside the casting - just in front of the steering rack from memory) and they are either 17mm or 19mm I think one may be one and one the other.....

There are also 3 (I think all these are 19mm) on the steel section further back on the steel subframe section just in from behind the front wheels.

the plug in picture 2 is the switch for the reverse lights. There should be another plug probabley on top of your gearbox that should conect into it then your reverse light will start working when your in reverse. If you look on the over side of the gearbox you will see another plug that is the speed sencer. Trace the cable up towards the chassie and should find the other end to the reverse light switch plug it back in and jobs a good one.

No.4 i beleive is a brace for your subframe bolts.

No.5 someone has t'ed the pipe to fit a boost gauge or boost controller but later removed it and couldnt be botherd to to buy a new pipe so just blocked it off

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)