The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Temp gauge/Fuel issue

Thomas.B

Hey guys.

If the temp gauge isnt working would it in any way contribute to fuel consumption? Is it linked somehow?

I still get crazy bad mileage (125miles to almost full tank!) and ive changed almost everything now...

Lambda

Sparkplugs

All oils and filters

Thermostat

The emissions test at the MOT went perfect and all values came in fine (with second decat).

Running out of options now and its pissing me off that I cant find the problem :/

Konrad:

Temp sensor wasnt changed.

After market Lambda from sparkplugs, the one recommended from here.

Chris:

Ok so if there is any damage to the ecu sensor this could be causing it? Do you mean the rad hose?

It has the stock FPR, found one of the vacuum hoses to be a little bad and have fixed that also but it didnt help any.

Its strange that it gave perfect emissions and drives really well no smoke or anything....its making me crazy!

Have you checked none of the calipers are stuck? Sounds daft, but it makes a hell of a dent in fuel consumption if a caliper is binding, and the engine's have enough power to mask this sometimes. Worth checking perhaps? Have you got an AFR (Lambda wide band) gauge fitted? If so what does it read cruising and under load?

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Thanks for the replys m8s.

All calipers are in great condition everything rolls fine.

I was counting on higher then normal fuel consumption when I bought it as I have had many other high performance cars (far more power then in this one) that used alot... but not this much! And after hearing what others get from theirs its just crazy and pisses me off!

Sadly no lambda gauge fitted. But it came out to 1.03 at the MOT during load or if it was at idle. I still have the original lambda and it was just as thirsty before I changed it.

After changing all that I have I'm left thinking my ECU might have said goodnight...?

No need to buy one, just measure the resistance at cold, and warming up, and hot, and compare with Andy Blyth's table : http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?238522-2JZ-sensor-resistance!

You can check your MAP sensor too, and your air temp sensor. Far quicker to just check the fuelling on a rolling road at various load points and see if you actually HAVE an over fuelling issue though.

Did you fit a genuine Toyota oxygen sensor?

I ask because I had a number of customers when I was trading who'd initially fitted a generic Ebay O2 sensor and found it made zero/short term difference to fuel consumption. They then fitted a genuine OEM Toyota sensor that made a very obvious difference.

There's a Stack wideband sensor and readout with very basic logging in the for sale section at £200, if I were you I would buy it, fit it, and see what the AFR's are doing. It's a VERY useful tool, with a fair re sale value if you want to sell it on after. It'll save a lot of time if there's no issue with the fuelling.