The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is this too pricey... 1jz gte related

suprasize

Guest BradMD

I know some one who was willing to sell a 2jz-gte for 1500 euros tho with all the ancilarries and bits, delivered not sure if its still available

IMO you are better buying a running Soarer so you can try the engine before you buy it. Soarers are cheap as chips if you shop around, especially scruffy or damaged ones.

That would certainly be the ideal, I haven't even heard my lump running yet and I've spent a fair bit of time and effort getting it ready to fit. If it's a bad 'un I think I'll have a bit of a weep.

Theres a really nice soarer knocking about atm, steel bladed turbines (hybrids), boost controller, and all other basic bpu parts =). £1500.... Is that a fair price? Low mileage. But its an auto, will that be a problem if im mating it up with my manual w58?

There is no problem physically mating a W58 box and clutch to a 1JZ, mine met for the first time last night and it was love at first sight. Everything lines up as it would on a 2JZ.

With the engine coming from an auto there are one or two modifications to be made to the wiring to get it to start and run properly, if you use the ECU from the 1JZ auto.

Or you could source a 1JZ manual ECU for very little and save yourself the 10 minutes work or indeed go for an aftermarket ECU.

Be prepared for the W58 to have a short lifespan bolted to a turbo'd engine though.

Looks good, almost too good to break!

Be wary of any claims of upgrades, look for proof.

A soarer manual gearbox (R154) depending on the age of the soarer it came from may or may not need modification to fit it to a MKIV.

An older box will need the shifter housing extended back, like the W58 to make it fit properly.

A newer box will have this done from the factory but these boxes are close to V160/1 money.

This was a forum members car at my place for some work, some time back, not sure what became of it, but it had a LOT of money spent on it. The wife still talks fondly of hers, it was a FAR better car than the 928 she had before it.

http://www.gatesgarth.com/soarer/soarer.html

The 1JZ is a much "nicer" engine than the 2JZ, IMHO, they get a bit rough on the longer 2JZ stroke.