The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery to handle big sound system etc (not optima).

hodge

After my red top battery failing and spitting battery acid out all over my car, I've totally lost faith in optima batteries. I had a right nightmare with 1 in my blue supra too.

What sort of other batteries are on the market that can handle a lot of current draw from a sound system, gauges, electric fans etc.

It needs to be a dry cell or Sealed battery as it's going in the boot.

Thanks guys

John

Odyssey is a really good shout.

However, and I know you're not going to like this, the Yellow top optima batteries are a FAR cry from the redtops. The yellowtops look horrid in the engine bay but since yours is hidden I don't think you would have much trouble. They are night and day mate, and this is coming from a guy with a redtop. The deep cycle on them is excellent and if you go for the top of the range one the capacity is ridiculous.

The red top I had in my blue Supra was sh1te and the one in my car now again is utter shizzle too. So you recon the yellow tops are much better batteries then Scotty.

Yes, they are massively different batteries. The Redtops have a rubbish deep cycle, if they hit the bottom more than once they tend to just die (as happened to me previously). The yellow tops have excellent deep cycle properties and won't die if they drop to zero.

I was going to get a yellow top and paint it, but the redtops are far cheaper so I just went with that lol.

I've just been checking out those odyssey barreries. I've been looking at this one. It has 1500 cranking amps and recon it could run my house never mind my car. What do you think.

http://www.tayna.co.uk/ODYSSEY-PC1500DT-1500-Cranking-Amps-P7671.html

That looks the part, not sure on its capacity though? It's certainly powerful enough to start a rather large tractor though.

The issue with these batteries, is that when they aren't run a lot they can die. It's usually down to capacity and deep cycle capability. Those are the 2 most important properties for my circumstances when choosing a battery, as my car sits for long periods doing nothing lol.

Mate trust me forget redtops or yellowtops or even blue tops. You need a odyssey. They are more powerful than any equivalent size battery. Ive used all Optima stuff and they are ok. But if you want real power and Capacity then go odyssey. Me and my brother have been running big sound systems in our cars (and im not talking just throwing in two subs ;) full competition grade setups) and Odyssey has been our top choice. I was using this one in my Lexus http://www.tayna.co.uk/ODYSSEY-PC2250T-P3114.html but a bit too big and heavy for a supra, so go for the one you have picked ODYSSEY PC1500DT. Or if you want light weight and small and more power then go for these ones im using in my supra http://www.tayna.co.uk/Odyssey-Extreme-40-Battery-P8167.html

The issue with these batteries, is that when they aren't run a lot they can die.

Thats not true mate. You can leave them lying about for upto 3 years and still these wont get damaged. Plus since being Drycell you can mount them any way you like. :)

Thats not true mate. You can leave them lying about for upto 3 years and still these wont get damaged. Plus since being Drycell you can mount them any way you like. :)

You misunderstand what I am saying. I mean while on the car. I had my battery for 6 months and I left the car for a month over the winter. When I went out to start it I had to jump it, even when jumped the car didnt run right. It wouldn't hold a charge, the battery was dead.

Red tops are notorious for it, if you deep cycle them they die. Yellow tops are FAR better for that kind of use.

Sorry i thought you ment odyssey battery. With yellow top and odyssey batts if you drain them of charge just swtich the car on and they charge back up superfast. And If you leave dont use your car alot or after long periods of time, just get a isolator swtich on it. So when you are going to park it up just isolate the battery. No flat battery any more. :D

Sorry i thought you ment odyssey battery. With yellow top and odyssey batts if you drain them of charge just swtich the car on and they charge back up superfast. And If you leave dont use your car alot or after long periods of time, just get a isolator swtich on it. So when you are going to park it up just isolate the battery. No flat battery any more. :D

Isolator switch is actually a great shout, might do that myself.