The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T 400bhp target... would high lift cams help?

Noz

Hi all, hopefully this isn't a stupid question, appoligies if it has been asked before.

Buying parts for my NA-T set up. I've always like the slight lope with high lift cams. Various options open to me for this, TTC hard welded (eeek so slate me!) or remove distributor and use GTE cam shafts.

I have the funds to include cams and other components required for them into my budget, BUT... do I really need them?

im using a BW s362 (batmowheel mmmm!), 525cc injectors and ultimate emanage. I'm confident with a lower compression and boost I could hit 400bhp, but I was thinking if I had high lift cams, would this increase my power band and increase my average helping it hit high figures Sooner.

I'm just thinking about power increase and how to hit this magic number as soon as possible, clearly I dont want to consider it if it really won't make a difference to reaching that target.

Thanks for any assistance, opinions and knowledge shared!

You could probably make a modest 400 on stock cams. The only advantage you would see with high lift is an extended powerband i.e. better midrange and top end with the sacrifice of low range but unless your revving higher than stock or planning on pushing the power higher i dont see the point IMO as you wont be taking full advantage of them.

How much reduction in compression are you going with? What method will you use to drop compression?

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

As hopefully I wont be required to go over 12psi I was going to use a thicker headgasket. I know this isn't the BEST choice due to squish and det, but for only 400 bhp I didn't think I would need it. There are alot of GE engines pushing serious psi, but as Im not planning on it, I didn't think it would be required.

The mid range power band is what I'm trying to improve mate.

martin the re ground cams are only removing material which is added to the cams, so no original material is being removed, so not classed as a re grind. they grind away material which has been welded to the profile.

blimey craig thats good! what turbo was he running. what did his power band look like? is that stock injectors as well? what did he do different, stock turbo conversions with low psi normally hit 320ish.

martin the re ground cams are only removing material which is added to the cams, so no original material is being removed, so not classed as a re grind. they grind away material which has been welded to the profile.

Im more than aware of what re ground cams are and one reason why i wouldn't consider it is because of what CW had to say about the matter.

"The only ways to regrind a used cam with higher lift are to reduce the base circle diameter, needing much thicker shims, or to weld the cams up and regrind, which AFAIK, is only possible on steel cams, not chilled cast iron as the stock ones are. Reground cams can be very iffy, depends how well they are done, and how the heat treat is then done."

Another reason is the owner of TTC is someone i wouldn't deal with either ;)

I did A LOT of research years ago about NA-T conversions and almost took the plunge of a power build myself but pulled out due to the cost it would of took to get there.

i wasnt trying to give you a lesson on cam shafts mate i just miss understood your reasons against re grinds. it would make sense not to re grind a casting, but it be ok for steel due to the different manufacturing process.

indeed i have heard people speak badly of TTC, but i read somewhere they send their cams to webcams in america. unsure of a contact for this company, i thought i would ask you guys first if it's worth the hassle.

people turn the boost up in GE's all the time, risking blowing them up saying they are so cheap why not have some fun, so i just thought this may be an option to get some mid range.

ive never seen any information regarding comparisons with stock cams or uprated cams on an NA non-boosted engine.