The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Th400 Dragbox info and stuff needed...!!

Jamesy

I've been trying to find some decent information to read up on these boxes without much joy.

Can someone please give me information on these boxes;

What theyre like to drive daily?

Only 3 speed so whats it like on motorway?

Can you use the lockup switch?

Direct replacment for the BL setup im told although need to use my existing bellhousing

What power will they take?

Will my pi3200 histall work ok with one?

Is it true you can just stick it in Drive, you have to manually use the gears?

Have found one on supraforums and my mate can pick it up for me near NYC, but i really need some decent info on this box asap please.

talk to stewardW , the blue drag supra at POD he has one installed.It will cost you twice as much as a 6sp conversion.

Stu runs a powerglide not a TH 400, the TH 400 is not a elctronic box so you cannot have a lock up switch, you could run a gear vendor over/under drive and alter the axle ratio so you dont need so much stall, you can also use a 4L80E or similar these are 4 speed and do lock and can take a 1000ft lbs of torque, either done properly is twice the 6 spedd as Michel says.

Thanks guys. Ive found one going cheap, cheaper than rebuilding my bl box and my mate can ship from nyc for free.

This one has uprated clutches and was built for a 1500hp car.

You will need a new stall converter and the adaptor kit to put the 400 on the 2 JZ plus a new prop and shifter.

You will need a new stall converter and the adaptor kit to put the 400 on the 2 JZ plus a new prop and shifter.

Lying yank told me it was a direct replacement :(

How much do those bits cost mate, how come you cant use current prop and shifter?

It's all totally different. The bellhousing will need to be altered with either something custom or an adaptor plate, the prop will need altering in both length and the end that fits the gearbox output shaft. It will need a dedicated torque converter and flex plate, and almost certainly a different gear shifter assembly. Being hi stall it will be simply dreadful on the road, drink fuel and be nasty in traffic with people thinking you are slipping a clutch like crazy. If you have to pay someone to make bespoke stuff it'll cost a bomb. If a kit is available from over in the US that fits (unlike Ryan's US sourced adaptor for his Lexus to Getrag conversion....) it may be cheaper and less hassle.

Just buy a drag car that's built for the job, and goes a lot faster, it's a lot cheaper than modding a road car. A proper drag transmission is the way forward (no pun intended...) though. And a proper drag axle set up, and.... and ... :)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

lol - good point Chris....

Maybe i will juist see what upgrades Lee's built auto man can make to the BL box, there must be things inside the BL box that are weakest, like 2nd gear sprag and (now obviously) the clutch!!

Maybe a bit more of a custom, higher hp coping BL box is the way forward for me... :)

lol - good point Chris....

Maybe i will juist see what upgrades Lee's built auto man can make to the BL box, there must be things inside the BL box that are weakest, like 2nd gear sprag and (now obviously) the clutch!!

Maybe a bit more of a custom, higher hp coping BL box is the way forward for me... :)

Titan are doing transmissions now

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tmsst2suautr.html

Chucking good money after bad staying with that BL box and your torque imo mate, save up, go 6 speed is the only option for a street car.

Yeah mate i know 6spd is ideal, but to be honest if i had to spend anywwhere near the circa £3k to convert it i'd actually have to sell the car, or break it!!!!

Yeah mate i know 6spd is ideal, but to be honest if i had to spend anywwhere near the circa £3k to convert it i'd actually have to sell the car, or break it!!!!

Find a 6 speed manual N/A or crashed TT maybe? Get the box and everything needed to convert then flog the rest and recoup some money back maybe? No idea if this is feasible, but it's an idea that just popped into my head so I thought I would share.

Good luck in getting it sorted mate.

James

Can someone please give me information on these boxes;

What theyre like to drive daily?

Nowhere near as nice as the Toyota box.

Only 3 speed so whats it like on motorway?

Get used to revs, or fit a Gear Vendor O/D and empty your wallet ;)

Can you use the lockup switch?

Doesnt' have one - unless you go for the weaker full auto or find an aftermarket lock-up option (rare).

Direct replacment for the BL setup im told although need to use my existing bellhousing, What power will they take?

It fits in the hole with some gentle persuasion, thats it! You need new prop/adapter, crossmember mount, speed sensor adapter, cooling fab and shifter mech mods. The power it will take will be based on how it's been built. A manual valve body TH400 will take more than an auto one ( This was the case when I had one anyway, could have come on since then)

Will my pi3200 histall work ok with one?

Nope. It's custom fit.

Is it true you can just stick it in Drive, you have to manually use the gears?

As mentioned, they come in both manual and auto valve body formats. One will give you a big arm, the other won't.

Do yourself a favour and listen to JP. If you want to keep this as a road car with the odd drag here and there, then put a manual in it. At the power you're at you WILL be here again if you stick with a modified A340E box. Turbo 400's, glides, 4L80E's lean more to the dedicated drag enthusiast, and although cheaper than a lot of other options out there, they are still more expensive do to properly than a 6 speed conversion.:)

Edited by Miguel (see edit history)

If you want to drag, buy a drag car, an independent rear suspension, like the MKIV's, with LOTS of camber change in squat is always going to be pretty hopeless. The MKIV is a great track day / road car, but without extensive mods they aren't good drag cars. A manual 6 speed, as those that have explored these avenue vouch, will be the best halfway house between road and drag strip. The trouble with drag racing is it's bloody boring unless you have a mega HP car. Getting mega HP down on the strip, with all the associated shock loads with race type starts and race type gear shifts on an ultra sticky surface will mean big HP cars need very expensive mods to survive. Get the thing on a track where a manual six speed and half decent suspension and brake mods will give far more hours fun per £.

If you want to drag, buy a drag car, an independent rear suspension, like the MKIV's, with LOTS of camber change in squat is always going to be pretty hopeless. The MKIV is a great track day / road car, but without extensive mods they aren't good drag cars. A manual 6 speed, as those that have explored these avenue vouch, will be the best halfway house between road and drag strip. The trouble with drag racing is it's bloody boring unless you have a mega HP car. Getting mega HP down on the strip, with all the associated shock loads with race type starts and race type gear shifts on an ultra sticky surface will mean big HP cars need very expensive mods to survive. Get the thing on a track where a manual six speed and half decent suspension and brake mods will give far more hours fun per £.

Not wishing to dissagree but serious racing aside I can think of no other car as relatively easy to run 10 or 9 sec 1/4 miles in as a Supra or one that will do that and with just a tire and simple geo change drive so well on the street, in pouring rain on the way to Suprapod I was overtaken by a black car that im sure looked like a supra doing at least 140 mph and also saw a similar !!! one doing some nice power slidey stuff, by the time I got to the pod a VERY similar one was sitting on Drag tires and proceeded to run 10.1 @ 149 runs, I/m fairly sure this same car could have turned up at a track day on the sunday and on a decent sized track showed its heels to pretty much any street car (apparently the owner can drive a bit) I know of no other RWD car that could do this and comfortably too !!!!!

For serious competition refer to CW's post.