The mkiv Supra Owners Club

painting the supra, Its all white now

safcdixon

well its nearly done its already flatted back just gotta buff the paint, then a coat or two of laquer then buff again, should be done by mid week. thought id post some pics too show the result of my hard graft. im quite pleased as its the first time ive done something this big and on a car worth as much this is. image image image image

you are flatting the base back before putting the lacquer on? You shouldn't be touching the base with any paper before lacquer, and you really need to get the lacquer on no more than an hour after the last coat of base colour.
Just doing what I was told mate I don't know what I'm doing tbh, I wasn't gonna laquer it, I thought the finish looked fine and you didn't have too laquer 2pk but I've been told otherwise

Apart from the obvious laziness of not masking your wheels or tyres (!!!) it looks fairly decent for a self spray. How did you stop contaminants hitting the body while painting? That doesn't look like a very sterile environment to me?
haha it wasnt total laziness mate what i had to do was spray the front (bumper wings and bonnet) then push the car in the garage close the doors then spray the rear a royal pain in the ass, the contaminants: i dysoned the whole garage then wetted the garage floor to stop any dust rising, then panel wiped the car, its not perfect by anybodys standards. but for just over 200 quid its not bad :)

Only winter will tell now...if you wet the floor i expect high levels of moisture to be in the air , your compressor would have used that moisture filled air to push the paint out. So be expecting blisters in the paint, its all good though, you seemed to have done seriously well in the conditions, so top points to ya, i plan on doing mine again next year, and you could to, you can only get better results....should be well chuffed with this :)

Only winter will tell now...if you wet the floor i expect high levels of moisture to be in the air , your compressor would have used that moisture filled air to push the paint out. So be expecting blisters in the paint, its all good though, you seemed to have done seriously well in the conditions, so top points to ya, i plan on doing mine again next year, and you could to, you can only get better results....should be well chuffed with this :)
cheers kevin, i had the compressor outside too help with the moisture and i had a little moisture filter on the gun, i will probs do it again or pay too get it done, it was alot of work and very time consuming as you will know.

I see you also got some overspray on the window rubbers, heres a little tip, get some good quality paint thinners, some cotton buds and play away, dont get any on the body but itll neaten it up, and the thinners wont damage the rubbbers:D lucky for me i split my tin on the hammerite and nothing happened LOL

I see you also got some overspray on the window rubbers, heres a little tip, get some good quality paint thinners, some cotton buds and play away, dont get any on the body but itll neaten it up, and the thinners wont damage the rubbbers:D lucky for me i split my tin on the hammerite and nothing happened LOL
yeah i tryed with a little bit of turps but left it, really stubburn stuff, i have too go back to the paint shop for some black paint, il get some then, i wish id just takin them out now. what happend was i used some masking tae i had lying around and probobly poundland or sumit and it basicly fell off on the first coat so i left it at that and got some proper tape the next day

Just doing what I was told mate I don't know what I'm doing tbh, I wasn't gonna laquer it, I thought the finish looked fine and you didn't have too laquer 2pk but I've been told otherwise

2pk paint needs lacquer, the base will have a satin kind of finish to is when its dry. You don't need lacquer for acrylic/enamal colour, but the finish isn't as good. I am talking like I am an expert, I have only painted a few things, civic wings+bonnet, my motorbike a couple of times, never an entire car :)

Problem is if you are flatting it back before lacquering is any scratch/swirl marks you make with the sanding will then be coated over in clear and will be there forever. If you use a 2000 grit paper you can get rid of any scratches but then the surface will be too smooth for the laquer to attach itself to. I think that is why you need to put the clear on no longer than 60-90 minutes (different with each kind of paint), so the lacquer kind of bonds with the base.

I got all my tips from the autobody101 forum, maybe someone on here can let you know if I am right or if its ok as you are doing it. Rob, maybe you can give a pointer?