The mkiv Supra Owners Club

just bought one

Guest BradMD

Guest BradMD

Hi everyone, i've just bought a 1994 n/a auto supra, and from first glance it looks great, only thing is the heads blown and so it will need a new gasket. My main question is can you use the gasket for the Turbo engine on the non turbo one or are they different, and if anyone has any tips on how to do this or has done how should i approach this?

Thanks Brad

Guest BradMD

Well found out i can actually use the 2jz-gte head gasket on the 2jz-ge, i'm quite confident in the gasket swap but if anyone has done this before it would make it a lot easier

Guest BradMD

really?? surely that would cost hundreds of £'s and then the hassle of fitting it, all that needs to be done is planeing the head and reffitting of a gasket? or am i missing something

Guest BradMD

As i said i bought it with the gasket blown, and i haven't had a chance to strip the head off and examine it, but if i were to swap the whole engine would it be worth finding a stock 2jz-gte engine with the stock twin turbos to put in it?

Guest BradMD

Yep thats the plan, get the head planed down in case it has warped, and depending on how much i plane it down i might need a slighlty thicker gasket.

But also a thinner gasket will increase the power produced by the car right? So how much thinner gasket do people normally use safely, so i can take the difference away when the head is planed down, as if it is too much i might need a thicked then original gasket. Anyone know what the stock gasket thickness is?

Guest BradMD

I'm getting a whole gasket kit now including Head Gasket, valve stem seals ect which is for the 2JZ-GE so it all will work, only question is how much should i skim my head down if it is warped to keep the compression safe?

Guest tony1979

If your in the proccess of changing the head gasket why not do the timing and aux belts just as a precaution??

The belt kits are pretty cheap for the n/a.

Just a thought

Good idea, although the belt was changed at 50,000ish miles so is it still worth swapping?

I would. If the old belt had done 15,000 miles then I'd probably keep it on. Doing it whilst having the head off means you've done most of the hard work already, so it's basically just the cost of buying the belt.

Whilst the gasket itself is probably cheap to buy, it's the other parts that get replaced at the same time that will push up the cost of the job. It'll mean you're running with new belts etc though.

Completely different beat I know, but I changed the HG on a Rover K-series engine once and although the gasket cost £30 ish, altogether it cost over £100 (belt, gasket sealer, engine flush, skim, stretch bolts etc).

I'm at the edge of my knowledge about the stretch bolts. I'm not sure if all engines have "stretch" type head bolts. I know Rover's K-series engine does, but that doesn't help you much. :) It was an indication of how the parts that need changing add up.

Stretch bolts can be re-used if they're within a certain tolerance.