The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch recommendations

Steve

After having my car mapped a few weeks back and making more power than I was expecting I was always concerned about the clutch but have not been able to fault up until Supra Pod. After a few launches I could smell the clutch getting hot and after my last one it got to the point that I couldn't even engage any gear.

So after leaving the car to cool for a few hours I tried again and it still wouldn't engage any gear, so that was my racing over for the day :(

To get the car home I had to put it in gear, start it then just go, although when I had to stop it would work ok but the car would still try to creep forward.

So I am now looking to replace the clutch with something a lot stronger that will cope. I guess my options are going to be a Triple Plate type like RPS or Carbonetic? What's the noise like with these clutches? Weight of the pedal?

Anybody with any input on these clutches?

Still I was happy with my day at the Pod, I did manage a 11.4 @133mph before I had to stop :)

Thanks

RPS twin carbon/carbon should suit your needs very nicely. That's what JP is running and it's the clutch I plan on getting for my, now modist, goal :)

His is holding silly HP, way more than it is rated to so it's clearly a decent bit of kit. Pricey though, you won't see much change from 2k.

Thanks Scott, I was looking at the triple but if Jamie's twin is holding and taking the abuse he gives it that is definitely an option :)

Any ideas on the noise of these? I didn't take any notice of Jamie's yesterday.

They come with their own flywheel but as far as I know they aren't as noisy as some. No matter which one you go for you are going to get some noise. I think JP said the noise on his has quietened right down after being run in properly.

I wouldn't recommend the triple plate, they are a bit of a pain with regards to normal street driving. Reading the specs of them from suppliers they recommend them for drag/drift and that sort of driving. Around town street driving they recommend the twin plate max.

The carbon discs makes a huge difference to the power/torque that they can handle. I'm almost positive JP is right on the edge, or he has already passed it.

It's overkill for myself but it will be spot on for your setup.

PS... can you tell I already bugged JP for info about the clutch :D

I am indeed on a RPS CC twin, very good clutch imo but this weekend i have been having clutch peddle issues, not sure yet if its the clutch or something else yet.

My RPS cc was a bit noisey when first installed, after a few thousand miles though it became almost silent, light peddle and easy to use.

They come with their own flywheel but as far as I know they aren't as noisy as some. No matter which one you go for you are going to get some noise. I think JP said the noise on his has quietened right down after being run in properly.

I wouldn't recommend the triple plate, they are a bit of a pain with regards to normal street driving. Reading the specs of them from suppliers they recommend them for drag/drift and that sort of driving. Around town street driving they recommend the twin plate max.

The carbon discs makes a huge difference to the power/torque that they can handle. I'm almost positive JP is right on the edge, or he has already passed it.

It's overkill for myself but it will be spot on for your setup.

PS... can you tell I already bugged JP for info about the clutch :D

Cheers for the info Scott :)

I am indeed on a RPS CC twin, very good clutch imo but this weekend i have been having clutch peddle issues, not sure yet if its the clutch or something else yet.

My RPS cc was a bit noisey when first installed, after a few thousand miles though it became almost silent, light peddle and easy to use.

It will be interesting to see what the problem is with yours before committing to one. Is Lee hoping to have a look this week?

I am at the moment yes.

Ive heard alot of good things about a newly made single plate 6 puck style clutch made by clutchmasters, stage 4 apparently, specifically to work with the stock flywheel. Its unsprung naturally but the pedal effort is the same if not lighter than stock and so far handling 770rwhp (US power).

Reid at SP is the man to contact about them apparently if its of interest to you?

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)

Ive heard alot of good things about a newly made single plate 6 puck style clutch made by clutchmasters, stage 4 apparently, specifically to work with the stock flywheel. Its unsprung naturally but the pedal effort is the same if not lighter than stock and so far handling 770rwhp (US power).

Reid at SP is the man to contact about them apparently if its of interest to you?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd44/2jzturbo/1994%20Supra%20TT%206MT/NewSupraClutch.jpg?t=1311894156

The only thing is, I know eventually I will get bored and change the turbo again :D so I want something I know will take whatever I can throw at it.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd44/2jzturbo/1994 Supra TT 6MT/NewSupraClutch.jpg?t=1311894156

I've seen that. Isn't it the bronze or something?

Something like that.

Its sort of a hybrid clutch. Something like a 6 puck combined with a solid disc, unsprung and to work with the OEM flywheel for stock like feel. It comes highly rated as a great streetable clutch which can take the abuse!

Just been for a drive in the car again today the gears engage fine and it seems to hold at the moment.

Is it possible that the clutch fluid got too hot?

Is there a high temperature clutch fluid available?

Can you use the RBF600 fluid in the clutch as that has a high boiling point.

I shall be replacing the clutch anyway but it would be nice to keep using the car (at low boost) whilst I get it sorted.