The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cylinder head painting.

Scott

Anyone done this? I'm looking to paint mine black but I'm not 100% sure how to go about it or what paint to use. I was thinking that the best idea would be to use black hammerite and apply it by brush so that I didn't need to worry about masking etc. Any pointers? I know the hammerite takes the temperature that the brakes put out no bother so I can't see the head getting anywhere near those temps.

Any help would be appreciated.

should be ok but i would use a hammerite smooth in aerosol, it would give a far better finish and you wont get no brush strokes

The can of hammerite smooth actually comes up ok if you use a decent brush (done a set of calipers). I really didn't like how runny the hammerite aerosols were.

Also, I would be worried about paint in the exhaust & intake ports etc. It would take a LOT of masking for something that is hardly visible, in order to do a proper job.

The can of hammerite smooth actually comes up ok if you use a decent brush (done a set of calipers). I really didn't like how runny the hammerite aerosols were.

Also, I would be worried about paint in the exhaust & intake ports etc. It would take a LOT of masking for something that is hardly visible, in order to do a proper job.

i used both and the paint is cack but each to there own. For best results the work is in the prep thats how you get the best results in anything, visible or not. keep us posted with pics when you do this

Powder coat satin black? VHT exhaust manifold paint? Even a normal acrylic spray can paint will survive except right on the exhaust ports. Hammerite? Oh dear no, dreadful stuff, save it for, err, I don't know, rusty garden furniture?

I wouldn't touch powder coating. Doesn't seem to last as long as it should. I really don't want to use a spray though Chris, which is the main issue really.

The hammerite is great on brake calipers (far better than brake caliper paint). I was just thinking of hard wearing paint really :)

I wouldn't touch powder coating. Doesn't seem to last as long as it should. I really don't want to use a spray though Chris, which is the main issue really.

The hammerite is great on brake calipers (far better than brake caliper paint). I was just thinking of hard wearing paint really :)

get a better powder coater ;) all my engine stuff had lasted coming on 2 years now, still looks like the first day i got it..

If it was a head off the car and stripped I could Kephos coat it for you.

Do you draw air through your teeth before you quote prices? :D

get a better powder coater ;) all my engine stuff had lasted coming on 2 years now, still looks like the first day i got it..

Wasn't me bud, JP had an issue that I've seen first hand. Also heard of other people complaining of it flaking off in certain areas.

Think I'll just grab some paint from my work, it's rock solid. It's meant to be sprayed on but I doubt there will be any issues using a brush.

It would be about £25 to Kephos coat a bare and prepped head (prepped as in soda blasted). DO NOT bead or sand blast engine castings....

That's really reasonable mate. Unfortunately the head has only been chemically cleaned and I've had my mits all over it since. If I was close I would definitely take you up on the offer but with the shipping both ways and additional prep work it will be very expensive so I'll just stick to hand painting it. Fortunately I've managed to get some of the stuff from work so it'll do nicely.

I googled kephos coating and the finish is stunning. I love that it can still be fully crack tested also. Ideal for blocks/heads where the temps are reasonable.