The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Specialized coatings?

Crouch

Hello people i'm afraid it's time for another random question that you'll all hate me for asking but i feel some research is in order and whom better than people who have done it before me so just abuse me lightly!

So i'm currently aquiring parts to build a 3.4ltr engine and my next purchase is the turbo kit as it's the next expensive bit and i want the pricey bits delt with first. I'm going to get a turbo kit from Mr Whiffin and as part of the deal i'm having the zircotech coating done.This got me thinking everybody knows about shot peening and cryo treatment but actual coatings still seems uncommon, I've checked some of the high profile members with scary fast cars (Mr JamieP,Mr Ricky49,Mr Dude and others) however i can't see any one who's try'd coatings. Is there just no details in the spec lists or do they not have any "special coatings" etc? can anyone give me first hand experience of technics they have try'd? what company did you use?(ie swaintech.com etc)

So that you know i was thinking about crown coatings to help prevent det and reduce the hot spots and the same with the valve heads also i'm wanting a friction reducing coating due to the increased load on the thrust side of the piston as this load increases with the long throw crank increasing the rod angle.

As always excuse my poor spelling and grammer i know it's awful and any and all help/advice welcome

Many thanks Gary Crouch

I had my manifold/down pipe/screamers all Zircotech heat coated, i cant say how well it works other than ive never seen it glow on the dyno.

Cant advise on the pistons, although i cant see how it will prevent det, det will be there if the tune is bad.

I think the coatings help by reducing hot spots ie the piston crown or valve head lip. This is my point though is it marketing waffle or does it actualy help. Some coaters say they can basicaly coat everything in one way or another check the claims made by swaintech.com they are one such company. I'll be running the same manifold and zircotech coating you have Mr JamieP, I've heard the theorys behind the tech because of the hole tubular manifolds V log type heat arguement just wonderd if anybody had try'd it.