The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My facelift TT6 (Updates!)

Si_s Supe

I've had the car a few months now (bought from Scooter) and thought it's a bout time I posted a few photos. Went to a PistonHeads meet this afternoon and took a couple of nice ones so thought they'd be an ideal start.

Quick bit of info on the car, I bought it totally stock and all I've done so far is change the wheels and put a cat back system on. (plan on a few more bits and bobs but nothing too crazy!) It's a '96 Jspec and has been in the UK since '97 with only 2 owners. It's been looked after by Mr T for the vast majority of it's life with the exception of the 2 years that Scott had it. It's pretty much as pure as they come, still clocking in KMs (reading 116,00 at the mo) was totally stock and even the paint is ALL completely factory original!

I do have a Jspec plate to go on, just waiting for a new plinth to arrive.

Sorry they're only iPhone photos, will get some better ones up soon, and will of course keep this thread updated with any changes I make!

Edited by Si_s Supe (see edit history)

Looks really nice.

UK plate looks best on the front IMO.

You would say that...you're bias'd!! Lol. To be fair, I think it looks best but just don't like the way the plate over hangs the plinth either end and wasn't sure if a UK plinth would fit my car so went Jspec and done with it.

You would say that...you're bias'd!! Lol. To be fair' date=' I think it looks best but just don't like the way the plate over hangs the plinth either end and wasn't sure if a UK plinth would fit my car so went Jspec and done with it.[/quote']

Just get them cut down to fit...uk plate does look far better! It can be done - check my front plate in my garage pics - it's legal also!!!

A few small updates.

Firstly I fitted some 4300K HIDs, look soooo much better. Going to go for a drive in the dark and test them out!! I will take the car to a test station tomorrow to get the beam patterns checked but they look spot on!

I also decided to fit the Defi boost gauge I've had sitting around since I bought the car!! Pretty chuffed with it. Almost looks OEM! I might spray the bezel black at some point though just so as it blends in a bit more.

Whilst I had the dash apart, I decided to whip the clocks out and have a look at the wiring just to make sure everything was genuine. (the car still clocks in KMs and I'd been told that it had never been converted so the KM reading is true and correct). I totally trusted Scooter who I bought the car from but there was always that niggle in the back of my head that it could have been clocking in miles for the last 14 years then put back to KMs to sell. I'm pleased to say everything is totally original and genuine!!

• 3 months later...

Quick update on the car. No major progress has been made of late, time and money haven't permitted but I'm vowing to stop being lazy and get more bits done soon !!

Car had its MOT today and passed with flying colours. Got advised on front pads but I have new pads all round and front discs that came with the car so again, I must stop being lazy and do them! Also fitted a Blitz Sonic Power filter today which I picked up from kenblockseal. Cheers mate! ;) It's much quieter than expected! In fact you can't hear it at all with the windows up. Probably a good thing TBF as my S70R was VERY vocal and it got a bit annoying sometimes! Throttle response seems slightly improved and it feels a bit more torquey too but this may just be phsycological!

All cleaned up ready to go. Also cleaned and lightly re-oiled the filter.

And fitted! Excuse the state of the engine bay. Needs a good clean up!

Yes, but that one was two turbo's short of being perfect [GRIN][/GRIN] and the silver one lured me away for being (I think) reasonably priced for such a clean low/genuine mileage car, the two combined is my ultimate spec car that I'd like to think I could settle with!

The RSP is not a NA... not anymore :p It's getting closer to a real TT and not a NA-TT :) And is one hell of a car. Scooter can be trusted on a 101% (as long as he's not talking about keeping a car :p ) :D :D :D

Yep, agreed! When Scooter buys his next Supra...and then sells it, any potential buyer can sleep easy knowing he's genuine! :) Where in Bulgaria are you? I go to Sveti Vlas / Sunny Beach quite often. See loads of Ferraris / Lambos etc...never seen a Supra!!

Yep' date=' agreed! When Scooter buys his next Supra...and then sells it, any potential buyer can sleep easy knowing he's genuine! :) Where in Bulgaria are you? I go to Sveti Vlas / Sunny Beach quite often. See loads of Ferraris / Lambos etc...never seen a Supra!![/quote']

I'm in the capital city mate - Sofia. If you ever decide to come visit, drop me a line ;)

And yeah, there are LOTS OF Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, etc, but almost no Supras. We have like 10 Supras in Bulgaria, and only 3-4 on the road :(

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day under sealing the Supra at my local garage having hired one of their ramps. The car has been in the country since 1997 and as far as I'm aware it hadn't been under sealed (if it had, it's not been done for quite some time!) Considering this, it really wasn't in too bad a state at all. Just some minor surface corrosion in places. I wire wheeled / brushed all corroded surfaces including suspension components, then applied a coat of Kurust (awesome stuff!) Once it had dried, I went over the whole underside with black under seal. Looks soooo much better now and I'm much happier now knowing its sorted!

Up in the air!

Before (excuse the cable tie on the exhaust mount, didn't have any new rubbers when I fitted the cat back but will have some when the decats go on!)

After

I did do the cills on a two poster afterwards but forgot to take photos of it all finished.

Also, this evening I added some new sidelight and rear number plate lights. I used the bright CREE 501 bulbs and I'm really impressed with them. Photos don't really do them justice due to the glare of photographing lights - in the dark - on a phone, but they look really clean and crisp, especially against the silver paintwork.

CREE LED on the left vs standard LED on the right.

Both in and complimenting the 4300k HIDs.

And CREEs again for the rear number plate lights.

Edited by Si_s Supe (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

So, last weekend I finally had some time to get the car back in the air and do my suspension and brakes! Bought some Eibach Pros 2nd hand in great nick having covered next to no miles! Also, got some Chris Wilson fast road pads and new Mr T. front discs to go on.

As you can see, the finish on the calipers has seen better days so they'll be freshened up too!

Everything came apart really easily which I hadn't expected. In fact, the hardest part was trying to remove the washer bottle from behind the splash shield to get the long bolt out of the upper wishbone.

Fitted the Eibachs to my Bilstiens and gave them all a good clean up. Gutted to see that I got a bit of underseal on the fronts! :rolleyes:

Et voila! When I reassembled, I greased the wishbone and lower shock bolts and all fixings were torqued to their correct settings! Something I'm sure many garages wouldn't go to the extent of doing!

Unfortunately, that's where progress stopped! The brake pins in both rear calipers...seized SOLID! I assume down to dis-similar metal corrosion! I had to cut the pins to remove the brake pads and over the course of the week have been oiling, heating and working at the pins. Today, patience prevailed the pins are out, bar one half that will be finished off tomorrow!

I've just ordered new seal kits front and rear and transfer seals from Chris so I'll be breaking the caliper halves this weekend to get prepping and painting! Hopefully everything will go back together early next week, but until then, she'll have to stay like this! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it didn't all go back together early this week!! I found that 3 of the rear pistons were pitted so took CW's advice and opted to replace the 4 rear pistons. They're on their way. In the meantime-

Gave the calipers an initial wash with wheel cleaner to remove the penetrating oil from trying to remove the seized pins. (Then promptly washed and disinfected the sink before the girlfriend realised!)

Then further stripped the calipers of the bleed nipples and bolt lugs, wire wheeled / flap sanded / scotchbrited to remove loose material and key the surface. Also masked up the piston bores and mating surfaces.

Got the 1st couple of coats of paint on this evening. Going to look good I think! It's a metallic black high temp paint. Looks grey at the moment but does end up quite a nice gunmetal with a few coats of lacquer.

Can you please post up the links to the exact CREE bulbs you are using please!?

They look much fresher! I take it they are e-marked and MOT friendly!?

Here they are. http://www.lightec-autostyle.co.uk/high-power-cree-xenon-white-sidelight-bulbs-p-243.html

It doesn't mention E-marking on the page but I've NEVER had any issues with MOT.