The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust legal question

nigelc

I have a Megan Racing exhaust on my Supra. It only has one box, and it has no baffle (except a removable one). I was wondering if this exhaust is legal when the baffle is removed.

The reason for the question is that my mate has a racing can on the back of his bike, and the lack of a baffle on a bike (as he understands it) makes the exhaust illegal.

Anyone know the answer?

It all comes down to some little approval sticker that the police check for. I don't think the police carry all the sound testing kit with them and I don't think they have the time to do sound checks on every vehicle they stop. All they look for is a metal plate/sticker (whatever you call it) which shows that it has passed all the UK regulations and is fit for use on the roads.

If you exhaust doesn't have one then you may be caught out if they check for it.

(This is the case with bikes, so I'm assuming its the same with cars).

There is no specific legal limit on exhaust noise for cars (unlike bikes).

The SVA test stipulates 101dBa, but once a car is SVAed AFAIK it can be as loud as you like.

The police if in a mood might get you a bending of the "construction and use" regs e.g.

"Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not after the date of manufacture be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases"

or the MOT test might fail you (unlikely):

"a silencer is in such condition, or of such a type , that the noise

emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level

expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition"

However if you have neighbours you could well find that they lodge a complaint with their local authority. You could then be prosecuted for noise pollution, however they would have to prove that it impairs their enjoyment of their property over a period of time. e.g. 2 mins each day wouldn't constitute noise pollution IMHO.

I don't think that car exhausts normally have any identification as to whether they are street legal or not.

If you've only got 1 straight through back box, you can virtually guarantee that it isn't legal, but as long as you're fairly sensible and don't floor it while going past police cars, or in the local high street etc you should be OK.

IME the police are only interested in the amount of noise the car makes if it draws undue attention. If they stop you for something else, they're unlikely to worry about the exhaust, unless you've pissed them off somehow, then they'll go through the car just looking for trouble :(

FWIW, I never run with the baffle in my RSR, but keep it in the boot, just in case :)

Originally posted by geoffvalenti

If you've only got 1 straight through back box, you can virtually guarantee that it isn't legal, but as long as you're fairly sensible and don't floor it while going past police cars, or in the local high street etc you should be OK.

Yep, that's what I've got, a long pipe and a massive straight through silencer at the end.

FWIW, I never run with the baffle in my RSR, but keep it in the boot, just in case :)

Think mine will be taking up permanent residence in the boot too!

Originally posted by mcanny

However if you have neighbours you could well find that they lodge a complaint with their local authority. You could then be prosecuted for noise pollution, however they would have to prove that it impairs their enjoyment of their property over a period of time. e.g. 2 mins each day wouldn't constitute noise pollution IMHO.

Guess I'll have to slow down further from home then, few minutes on the turbo timer could wake the dead!:innocent:

Originally posted by mcanny

or the MOT test might fail you (unlikely):

"a silencer is in such condition, or of such a type , that the noise

emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level

expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition"

I managed to be failed for that! :D :nana:

:looney: