The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How can I mod a n/a Supra?

SUPRAVIRGIN

Hi, any and everyone, I am about to go and collect my first ever MK4 Supra ( yipee!)....... Its a 1993 n/a auto, in black........ Anyway, I want to know what can be done to get more power............ Before any one says 'go and buy a twin turbo', i actually prefer a n/a engine................. but having said that, i have never driven a tt supra, so perhaps there isnt much lag?...................... but if there is, then i reckon my idea of a more powerful n/a engine would make for , what i consider to be, a more satisfying overall driving experience, better balanced throttle response etc.

so does anyone know what the max power or torque is that can be extracted from a n/a engine?......i was thinking that 280-300bhp would be more than enough......but how to get there?....ported head and inlet manifold?..higher compression ratio?....highlift cams?.....exhaust?...air intake?...re-map?

any ideas ???

Supravirgin ( about to break his cherry!!!)

As stated you won't be able to get that sort of BHP out of the NA engine, though saying that it doesn't mean it is impossible as I believe someone got 280bhp out of a NA which involved work on the engine, cams, exhaust, standalone ECU. It is a lot of money to spend for a little gain.

If you want a lot more power in NA format then swap it with the Soarer V8 engine.

Though if you want some gain then you would need to ensure the engine is not restrictive, decat exhaust, manifold, CAI. I'd also look at sorting out the suspension to give you a better handling to improve the driving experience.

On a BPU TT there is almost no lag at all. Go out in a manual one if you want to see just how quick they are. You will never get to 250+bhp on an NA without spending an enormous amount of money, much, much more than it will cost to go TT BPU (which will provide a genuine 400bhp and huge torque from 2k rpm). Modifying an NA makes no sense unless you have a massive amount of money and very good engine development connections and/or want to supercharge (which no one has proven successfully, so far)

It's a question that gets asked on a weekly basis, basically without spending £10K's on completely rebuilding the engine and fitting all the ancillaries needed to support the power, you will never get close to your performance goals.

In terms of cost effective performance modifications, removing the cats, fitting an aftermarket exhaust and tubular manifold, may gain you around 15-20hp and make the car feel more responsive, but that's about it. Reducing the weight of the car will help with performance.

To get the best out of the car I would spend the money on giving it a full service, replacing any worn parts and optimising the handling/braking.

Recent thread on the subject

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice....it looks like a unanimous answer......so, I will leave the n/a as it is, enjoy for a while....then sell it and buy a twin turbo...or, find a tt engine, and stick it in.....is it best to go for a factory tt?....so that the brakes/gearing etc are already set up?...

The Lexus V8 swap is reasonable on paper, but a nightmare if you try to insure it on a private car policy. It was enough to write it off as an option for myself.

I didn't get any problems with A Plan for getting a quote and insuring my V8 Sup..... infact it's only £150 a year more than my N/A :D

Welcome. As you say, get some enjoyment from the NA first, learn a bit about the cars and move on wehter thats a engine conversion or different car. I, like many on here have had great fun from an NA before moving onto TT. As for feeling quick or powerful, it all depends on what you are used to. The NAs are a great motorway cruiser imo.

Hello i also have have a N/A and have KHS induction kit,veilside exhaust with both decats removed and have a envy performance chip and she feels very responsive and love the car,my next mod is going to be 100shot of NOS then inteed to buy tt lump next year spend time rebuilding it and converting to single turbo with a aim of 600bhp and that shouldnt cost more than 5 maybe 6k at a push

Hello i also have have a N/A and have KHS induction kit,veilside exhaust with both decats removed and have a envy performance chip and she feels very responsive and love the car,my next mod is going to be 100shot of NOS then inteed to buy tt lump next year spend time rebuilding it and converting to single turbo with a aim of 600bhp and that shouldnt cost more than 5 maybe 6k at a push

So you're going to buy a TT engine and convert it to a 600bhp single turbo for less than £6k?

I am hoping so mate as can get engine 1500, pistons 1000, conrods 1000, inlet mainfold setup around 700, single turbo conversion kit is 1500. it will take time i know as 1st step in get tt and do rebuild then get someone to drop it in for me and set it up, only think havent looked at yet is gearbox cost, how much do you reckon it will cost then? as am after as much advice as possible before start build next year