The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Xenon HID conversion illegal !

David P

First thing my MOT guy said was

HID's FAIL! - Titan Sunstrip FAIL! - Front and Rear Number plates FAIL! - "Where is the rear fog"? In the middle of the rear hatch sir I said, FAIL! - "whats going on with these emmisions"? its double decat sir FAIL!

MOT now expires 31/7/12 :D

sounds like you have one of the "friendly" MOT stations :p

Well when i put mine in i brought it into the garage & i aligned them. To be fair they are spot on & the beam pattern is perfect on them. Did you notice though that the renault in that video doesn't have projector lights like the supra which i think makes all the difference.

Yep, that's true. I have done the conversion to my last 3 cars.

FTO, Supra & the Type R, they all have the projector lense so the light is directed neatly to the road.

I believe the failure in an MOT is that the headlight should have self levelling motor & also headlamp washers.

I believe the failure in an MOT is that the headlight should have self levelling motor & also headlamp washers.

Correct Abz :)

Also some kits fitted to older cars are just all over the place. Im sure it wont be long until kits come out combining leveling lamps, washers and the lights tho.

Not just aiming at yourself or that video. More along the lines of I think that is why we get away with it at MOT stations etc. Without projector lenses we wouldn't stand a chance.

I wonder whether the UK headlights are also projector lenses.....with all that reflective coating I am not so sure.

I wonder whether the UK headlights are also projector lenses.....with all that reflective coating I am not so sure.

the non facelift plastic lenses have the same coating.

The only issue i ever had with my hids on my uk car were that last time the mot guy couldnt get them to ajust with the ajuster wheel thing. but when i went to pick the car up it had magicly passed... :p

i got it in the car moved the ajuster wheel, the headlights moved. put them in the lowest position and carried on as normal.

My headlight washers also are not connected so it looks like the mot places dont care as long as you have projector lenses and can ajust them.

Guest Budz86

I was under the impression that it was only the HID kits that don't have the 'CE' approval stamp on them that are illegal. My NA passed last weekend and it has 6000k's in it with UK lights - it remains to be seen if the TT is as lucky! Guess I'll find out in September...

The reflector doesn't do anything. Well, it might reflect the sidelight but certainly not the main beam.

"Projector lens" means there is a lens that the bulb sits behind. The domes of glass in front of the dipped beam and the foglights are what makes them projector lenses :)