The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra tt v r33 gtr

nismovspec123

I've had both, this subject has been covered loads of times, do a search. A Supra is better made, a GTR has more hard core tuning stuff available off the shelf new, and secondhand. Very different cars. Different markets. Both have fallen into the ownership of those who can neither afford to maintain them, nor have the sense to realise this :)

I have had a few e-mails regarding this subject, so my comments below are in general and not to the OP who has experience of Skyline ownership:

I would add that run on a tightish budget a Supra is probably a better buy, they are easier to work on and have better build quality, but if, after buying the car, a bill for between 1500 and 2000 quid would leave you wilting, avoid both. They are expensive cars to maintain, any unfortunate failure of major items like turbos, gearboxes, diffs or just general refreshing of a doggy car will cost plenty, unless you can do everything yourself. You would still need to be one of those odd people who don't put a value on your own time, working on your own car, which is head in the sand thinking, if you are honest. An unmessed with bone stock car will probably cause less hassle than most modded cars, many of which have workmanship of dubious quality, or a time bomb of upped boost on a tired and in need of a rebuild engine core.

As Chris said the build quality is better on the Supra, I was tempted into a R33 GTS before the Supra. The interior put me off big time, though the engine felt strong. My colleague who sits in front of me had an R33 GTR and he highly recommends them. His driven a auto TT and was impressed by it, infact he drove mine one and couldn't believe how solid it felt after covering 90k! He says the handling is better on the R33 GTR and the power delivery is very good, more revvy then the Supra.

Though the pitfalls are the GTR are very expensive on repairs!