The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Witch singel build is cheaper?

Smoke_U

Hi.

I´m selling my Auto supra for a 6spd. sigel project. Looking for 500+bhp.

So, I am wondering witch engine would be cheaper to build of? NA-singel or TwinTurbo-singel?

I´m guessing the NA is a cheaper car to buy but i don´t know if the engine bloc and internals will cope with the new power.

Please shed some light on this. Thank you!

The N/A block does NOT have the piston oil squirters to cool the crown, which do help quite a lot, especially with the stock hollow crown pistons. Quite how much they help with none stoc forged pistons one can only guess, as these do NOT have the hollow crown for oil cooling. The crank and rods are the same, but the head hsa different ports and exhaust manifold bolt patterns, limiting manifold choice for a single turbo. Given a good budget, which any single build needs, I's say build on a TT and get the TT engine, Getrag TT six speed gearbox, big diff and correct propshaft and driveshafts, bigger rad, and ABS all in one package.

• 2 weeks later...

A single build NA-T will typically give the same power as a purchased BPU 6 speed. NA-T is such a pain in the bum, and to get 400bhp you have to spend in excess buying a TT6 with all the installing, transmission upgrades and extra's which you `should` do but not everyone does.

If you want to do it `properly` you should save and get a TT as this will be the `cheapest` option in the long run, reliability being a main contender!

There's only one reason to go NA-T over TT to begin with, and that is that you already own an NA. if you havent purchased and don't want to part with your car (like most NA-T owners started out), SAVE! :)