The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Time Attack - Cadwell park report

T2 MSW

Just though I would post up a summary of my weekend competing in TA at Cadwell Park this weekend.

It was hot :)

Spent the Sat warming up in cool conditions on the MLR open pit lane day. Still had the R888's on from last year’s TA and was really happy with how the car felt and was on the pace with the other TA runners. Finally when Pirelli showed up I moved over to the Pirelli control tyre for the last 20 minutes of the sat - To say I was less than impressed was an understatement. With the Pirellis on I was 6-7 seconds slower than earlier in the day. Fastest time on the Sat 1m51s on track slicks.

Sunday was much better.

All through the day I was getting quicker and quicker with practice on a 1m49s, some 7 seconds faster than on the same tyre the previous day. Qualifying I managed a 1m48s on lap 2 which I was happy with and immediately came into the paddock before I started chasing times.

The final was hectic with everyone turning the wick up and trying harder, we had 4 double yellows and 1 red in a 20 min session. I think the red was for a fuel leak out on track and the yellows were all for cars that had spun - mainly on laps I was going for a flyer and had to abort.

I ended the day with a 1m47s run which was good enough to get me 2nd in the RWD class only 1.1 seconds off the guy in first who had been consistently 2-3 seconds faster than me all weekend.

In summary the Pirelli tyres are not as bad as people have been making out, you do have to get out and get straight on it to get the best out of them as they go off quick but if you let them cool down the grip comes back to you.

supra.jpg

Supra1.jpg

Supra2.jpg

supra5.jpg

Edited by T2 MSW (see edit history)

Cheers Gaz, it was a great weekend.

Car ran faultlessly, only issue was in the last 20 min session I boiled the rad coolant :) To be fair it was about 26 degrees outside plus me and Masood in the white RX7 basically had a 20 minute race :)

Cheers Fella,

Yes there were people in the padock (mainly FWD) with Shaved fronts to keep the temps down and new rears to generate movement and heat. I was only running 1.1 bar all weekend in the 500 hp region and I would say there tyres on the rear would take abit more. Not a couple hundred more though.

You up for Snetterton at the end of the year? Tim told me he was trying to get you to strap some Pirelli's on for the weekend just gone :)

If they let me run with slicks I'd come, but I've invested more than enough this year on tyres!

Tim was trying to get me to come, with or without car as I cancelled on the race at Oulton at the last minute due to costs.

We'll be testing and racing at Rockinham on 19/20/21 Aug instead.

I'll try and keep TA Snetterton free so I can come over :)