The mkiv Supra Owners Club

sticky tape for spolier

wewsupra

I have just had my car resprayed, but i left the spolier of as i was undecided what colour to do the spolier,

I have now done the spolier the same colour as the car (standard spolier) and i was wondering what tape i should use to stick it back down ,as befor i had big black patches of black tape on before

can i use normal double sided tape (as spolier is bolted down as well) or is there a special name for the tape im after

I use these for trim tape if needed.

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=142&zenid=95hrdjde2nk7anetsho8coqal0

As SupraManUK said I would not recommend usign Tiger seal for this. It does have it's uses but not for this I would suggest. The spoiler is held in place with bolts and the tape is to keep it watertight. The bolts have been known the let water weep pass in the past

Edited by jonc (see edit history)

Horrible stuff !! I would advise against it because if you ever need to take the spoiler off you will need a new spoiler and a new respray !!

Wise words, what do you need tiger seal for ? the bolts hold the wing

to the tailgate.

Just use 3M double side tape, the stuff you use to hold number plates on with to act as a seal against water

and as a foam pad for the wing to sit on.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Wise words, what do you need tiger seal for ? the bolts hold the wing

to the tailgate.

Just use 3M double side tape, the stuff you use to hold number plates on with to act as a seal against water

and as a foam pad for the wing to sit on.

That's what I would do too, good bit of advice.

+1 use abit of this then bolt it back on it will stop the water geting under the spoiler and rusting the boot or as my mate always does use no more nails lol

oh dear .....

hey its not me he fixes most problems with no more nails haha i wouldnt use any form of double sided tape the water will rot it away after a while

if you use tiger seal or some sort of silicone stuff what ever it is if you change it then it doesnt matter you will have to re seal it any way and if you remove it then you will need to respray it after smoothing in the holes so why bother with silly tape? just use a proper sealent

i wouldnt use any form of double sided tape the water will rot it away after a while

if you use tiger seal or some sort of silicone stuff what ever it is if you change it then it doesnt matter you will have to re seal it any way and if you remove it then you will need to respray it after smoothing in the holes so why bother with silly tape? just use a proper sealent

:blink: lol

Try getting the wing off if you use tiger seal without damaging the paintwork on the tailgate !

Also i've had the 3m double sided tape under my wing for years and its not rotted away by water, even jetwashing hasn't caused it any problems !

What if your not filling the mounting holes and just fitting a differant wing ? ie Stock, TRD or Veilside etc, they all use the o/e holes !

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

hey its not me he fixes most problems with no more nails haha i wouldnt use any form of double sided tape the water will rot it away after a while

If this was the case then why don't manufactures use sealant ? My spoiler has been on for nearly 16 years and the tape is still as good as it was when it was new ...

What happens if he wants to change the spoiler not remove it? Maybe its just me but I would rather do a job properly than easily aka half arsed.