The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dragonball 2012 - where to go?

Branners

Dragonball 2012  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Dragonball 2012

• Eurotunnel to France, trip down to Britanny area of france and then back home. Leave on a Friday, return late on Sunday.
    • Eurotunnel to France, travel in to Germany to Nurburgring and surrounding areas. Leave on a Friday morning, return late on Sunday
    • Ferry down to Bilbao in Spain, travel to the mountains and possibly Barcelona, back to the port and back home. Leaving on a Thursday (arrive Spain on the Saturday!!), return on the Ferry on Monday arrive back in the UK on the Tuesday.

Im trying to plan ahead for Dragonball 2012 and want to know how much of a trip people can cope with.

Im thinking of 3 different options

1) Eurotunnel to France, trip down to Britanny area of france and then back home. Leave on a Friday, return late on Sunday.

2) Eurotunnel to France, travel in to Germany to Nurburgring and surrounding areas. Leave on a Friday morning, return late on Sunday

3) Ferry down to Bilbao in Spain, travel to the mountains and possibly Barcelona, back to the port and back home. Leaving on a Thursday (arrive Spain on the Saturday!!), return on the Ferry on Monday arrive back in the UK on the Tuesday.

Option 1 would be around £80 for the return Eurotunnel, £70 per night for the hotels plus food and petrol

Option 2 would be around £80 for the return Eurotunnel, £70 per night for the hotels plus food and around double the petrol

Option 3 would be around £380 for the return ferry, £70 per night for the hotels plus food and petrol

Honest answer here (not a 'that sounds lovely, I would love to do that but when it comes to it I wont' type of answer).

Which would people prefer?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am reasonably open on where, but costs have to come into it and there might be issues with getting on and off the ferries (it would need to be checked first)

We spent about £500 last time and that was okay for a great weekend, but if it starts going toward the £1000 mark I not sure I can warrant it

I no it's not an option, but I would be happy to go back to the same area again, it's about the trip in general for me

Could we manage through France to Belguim, into Netherlands, Germany and back through Luxembourg to the Train crossing in a long weekend

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I would prefer option number 2 or 3 but to be totally realistic option 1.

Thing is we have quite a few members who drove quite a distance down to Dover (Ellis was you record holder doing a 180 mile journey?), and we ideally need to cater for everyone so a mid-range option would be good. We didn't do a huge amount of driving on the last trip & that could have been a good thing or a not so great thing. Let's get as many opinions as possible on this thread then I guess Branners you will need to make an executive decision. :)

I certainly want to avoid 7 hours of driving to get to the hotel if I can, as we have to do the same to come back from wherever we end up.

So it might be a drive down to Caen or somewhere with a short lunch break at the coast.

But lets see what people are up for.

I would prefer option number 2 or 3 but to be totally realistic option 1.

Thing is we have quite a few members who drove quite a distance down to Dover (Ellis was you record holder doing a 180 mile journey?), and we ideally need to cater for everyone so a mid-range option would be good. We didn't do a huge amount of driving on the last trip & that could have been a good thing or a not so great thing. Let's get as many opinions as possible on this thread then I guess Branners you will need to make an executive decision. :)

That's a great point! You remember our conversation!

From my house to Dover port is just over 300 miles @ 5 hours. After that, that last thing I'd want to do would be a 90 minute train/ferry then more driving.

If the plan was to go to Bilbao/Santander, then the departure is either Portsmouth or Plymouth. Portsmouth is 40 miles less, then there's a good break on the ferry for a pint, knees up and a good nights kip.

That's a great point! You remember our conversation!

From my house to Dover port is just over 300 miles @ 5 hours. After that, that last thing I'd want to do would be a 90 minute train/ferry then more driving.

If the plan was to go to Bilbao/Santander, then the departure is either Portsmouth or Plymouth. Portsmouth is 40 miles less, then there's a good break on the ferry for a pint, knees up and a good nights kip.

Yep I certainly do! You made a very good point & that is the problem with these trips trying to cater for everyone. :)

I think we should brain storm as many idea's into this thread & then hopefully we can come up with a plan which just about works for everyone. One of the key factors will be cost & we would need to take this into consideration, I'll haggle the hotels as much as I can so the earlier we book the better chance I have of getting a good deal at a half decent hotel.

Though I am not sure we could have a party like we had last time in the car park, or drag racing with trolley's! :D

Yep I certainly do! You made a very good point & that is the problem with these trips trying to cater for everyone. :)

I think we should brain storm as many idea's into this thread & then hopefully we can come up with a plan which just about works for everyone. One of the key factors will be cost & we would need to take this into consideration, I'll haggle the hotels as much as I can so the earlier we book the better chance I have of getting a good deal at a half decent hotel.

Though I am not sure we could have a party like we had last time in the car park, or drag racing with trolley's! :D

Definitely. I'll try to represent the northerners! :D

Seriously though, anything north of Staffordshire becomes a real extra expense for anyone travelling, in terms of fuel and time.

Can you do a trip to Holland from hull? Makes the ferry more central in the UK and might be a bit different, not sure if there's a track nearby in Holland though?

Just a thought

Central? That's a 200 odd mile drive from London! :D

Oh I should also mentioned Belgium roads are rubbish! (well some of the roads are), I had to drive through some a month or so ago & some of the roads made the roads in Britain feel like velvet!

It's 290 miles from mine to Dover so the costs are always going to be high. Ian Ian & Johnny will be similar.

As far as destination goes, I am not overly concerned. Great drive with great company is a must do and as long as spend more time nearer the camera cars I will be a happy man.

H.

It's 290 miles from mine to Dover so the costs are always going to be high. Ian Ian & Johnny will be similar.

As far as destination goes, I am not overly concerned. Great drive with great company is a must do and as long as spend more time nearer the camera cars I will be a happy man.

H.

Ouch! How long did it take you to get home H?

Traveling mileage to a ferry/train is always going to be a problem as we don't all live in the same areas, but it's part of the trip

It does help if your car is in one piece the day before, so you don't end up spending the whole night before rebuilding it

The main thing that comes to mind for me is access on the ferries for low Supra's, the EuroTunnel was a total breeze and 30 mins to France made life much easier

Traveling mileage to a ferry/train is always going to be a problem as we don't all live in the same areas, but it's part of the trip

It does help if your car is in one piece the day before, so you don't end up spending the whole night before rebuilding it

The main thing that comes to mind for me is access on the ferries for low Supra's, the EuroTunnel was a total breeze and 30 mins to France made life much easier

I took my old Supra into France on a Ferry, stock ride height with OEM skirts & spats. It wasn't too bad getting on the ferry & getting off in France wasn't too bad but they did have a large ramp getting off. On the way the bottom of the rubber bumper rubbed a little on the large ramp & so did the exhaust slightly (the endish section in the middle). Though the ramp it rubbed on felt soft like it was a soft substance also rubber like too.

I am not sure some of the low Supra's would be able to get on to be honest.

I don't think mine would be a problem at the moment, but Supra's that are lowered like Ellis's I would guess would really struggle, which is why the EuroTunnel was so good

I would guess if you try a ferry at low tide it would be worse as well or am I being daft

Number 1 was about the same as this year and that was very enjoyable, the second choice could be even better, just because of the longer time together and it wouldn't cost too much more. The third choice would be fantastic if we didn't have to worry about cost too much and in the present climate this would put it out of reach for a lot of members, and I think this would cause the early rush of names with the usual fall off at the time of going.

So for me choice 2 would be the better, maybe extend it by another day, Thursday to Sunday.

I don't think mine would be a problem at the moment, but Supra's that are lowered like Ellis's I would guess would really struggle, which is why the EuroTunnel was so good

Have worked in Germany for many years& I had to leave my supra Here in the uk because of the big nasty ferry ramp.eurotunnel may be tight, but deffinately the better option. Shame really cause option 3 sounds awesome :D

I'm easy though :) just need dates etc to confirm, already got the :thumbs: from the better half :D

Edited by -Welsh-Stealth-
Wires crossed with bfg rules, bring on the ring :d (see edit history)

I've sailed the Bilbao ferry crossing 4 times now both with P&O and Britany ferries, Britany ferries have a newly re-fitted ship which is really nice and the crossing only 24 hours! There is a huge bar, lots of restaurants and a heated pool!

I've only driven to Lisbon from Bilbao it takes 7 hours the roads are like carpets and many times I did not see 1 police car the whole way and there is only 1 speed camera! The drive is very scenic lots of pine trees and hills.

There are very few sports cars in Portugal so expect to get lots of attention and have lots of photographs taken..!

I am a partner in a Holiday Rental company in a sea side town called Ericeira about 25mins from Lisbon, and if you guys wanted I could arrange accommodation for a very good price!